Textkit Logo

How do I say this in Latin......

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

How do I say this in Latin......

Postby reptilia5 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Salvete! I am teaching my son the Greek alphabet in preparation to begin the study of ancient Greek. We use Latin to learn the Greek alphabet (example: Haec littera (alpha/beta/gamma,etc.) est; quomodo (alpha/beta/gamma,etc.) scibemus?; (alpha/beta/gamma,etc) scribamus; Quid est haec literra? (with proper response);etc. Now I am trying to test him on what letter follows another letter before he see the next letter but I don't know how to say "what letter of the Greek alphabet follows/comes after...(alpha/beta/gamma,etc.) How do I say that in Latin? Also if someone could scrutinize the phrases I am using and give corrections and/or alternate phrases that would be greatly appreciated as well. Another phrase I use when he is spelling from memory is "Oculos clausi et (alpha/beta/gamma,etc.) scribe. According to my dictionaries "scribere" means to both write and spell. Is that correct? I have over one year of Latin self-study but am sometimes a little uncertain about my grammar manipulation. I try my best to make absolutely certain my son is learning only grammatically correct Latin from the beginning. I am aware of the fact that Greek letters are indeclinable in Latin. A big thanks to anyone and everyone who reads and responds to this post.
reptilia5
Textkit Neophyte

Re: How do I say this in Latin......

Postby Seraphinus » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:00 pm

reptilia5 wrote:Now I am trying to test him on what letter follows another letter before he see the next letter but I don't know how to say "what letter of the Greek alphabet follows/comes after...(alpha/beta/gamma,etc.) How do I say that in Latin?
"Quae littera sequitur alpha/beta/gamma?", using the deponent verb sequor sequī secūtus.

Another phrase I use when he is spelling from memory is "Oculos clausi et (alpha/beta/gamma,etc.) scribe.
"Oculōs claude et alpha/beta/gamma scrībe". The verb is "claudō claudere clausī clausus", "oculōs clausī" would mean "I closed my eyes".
ēlūcet mâiōrem habēre vim ad discenda ista līberam cūriōsitātem quam meticulōsam necessitātem
It is clear that a free curiosity has a greater force in order to learn these things [languages] than a necessity based on fear. (St. Augustine, Cōnfessiōnēs I.14)
Seraphinus
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin