Latin Grammar Site

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
mariek
Global Moderator

Latin Grammar Site

Post by mariek »

I was surfing a random wave on the web last night when I was driven ashore and found myself at this Latin Grammar Site. I took a look around and it seemed like a good reference spot.<br /><br />http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~econrad/lang/latin.html

Magistra
Textkit Member

Re:Latin Grammar Site

Post by Magistra »

http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~econrad ... in.html<br /><br />I've always found the "math" part of the address interesting. I cut the address back one time and found out that Latin is a hobby of a math prof.<br /><br />This is a pretty good site if you want the same sort of thing ready to print out. The grammar handouts are down at the bottom.<br /><br />http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/101/index.html<br /><br />Magistra

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Magistra link=board=3;threadid=253;start=0#1410 date=1058302550]This is a pretty good site if you want the same sort of thing ready to print out. The grammar handouts are down at the bottom.<br /><br />http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/101/index.html[/quote]<br /><br />Cool ! I like this site too. It's exactly what I'm looking for, something to print out and use as a handy "cheat sheet". It beats "flipping" through the pages of BLD, which I'm reading on the computer so "flipping" through pages is not quite as "easy". I also love the vocabulary lists on this site.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

i like the FAQ's...<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

At least he has a sense of humor...

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Locative case in there too ;D<br /><br />3rd declension looks hard!<br /><br /><br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I prefer 4th ;D<br /><br />Don't worry; no one ever uses the locative (they do... but SUPER rarely).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=253;start=0#1525 date=1058480021]<br />I prefer 4th ;D<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />4th neutral: cornu, cornus, cornu, cornu, cornu<br /><br />Ingrid

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Indeed :o
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

FREAKS! <br /><br />How ?! can the meaning be distinguished?! <br /><br /> :o :o :o :o

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

Try scanning the line (if it's verse) <br />or look for an adjective (if it's worse).

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=3;threadid=253;start=0#1542 date=1058511626]<br />4th neutral: cornu, cornus, cornu, cornu, cornu[/quote]<br /><br />Well, at least memorizing that declension should be a cinch! :)<br /><br />But then, wouldn't a sentence have different interpretations?<br /><br />Guess it's a trade off between easy memorization of case endings and easy comprehension of sentences.<br />

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

You're right, you need the rest of the sentence to find out what case the word might be. <br />Fortunately, there are only a few neutral nouns of the fourth declension. Most words are 3rd declension.<br /><br />Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=253;start=0#1572 date=1058551954]<br />[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=3;threadid=253;start=0#1542 date=1058511626]<br />4th neutral: cornu, cornus, cornu, cornu, cornu[/quote]<br /><br /><br />But then, wouldn't a sentence have different interpretations?<br /><br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />uhh...no! whatever gave you that Idea?! I suggest you look over that again! >:(

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Yeah, thank goodness there are only a few neuter 4th declension words... the ones I know:<br /><br />genu: knee<br />cornu: horn<br /><br />In my opinion, it's the most fun of the declensions (or maybe I just like the U sound). The plurals are pretty distinguishable, and so are the masculines/feminines, so don't freak out just yet ;)

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=253;start=0#1593 date=1058565245]<br />Yeah, thank goodness there are only a few neuter 4th declension words... the ones I know:<br /><br />genu: knee<br />cornu: horn<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />veru: iron pen you stick into meat to roast it on a fire<br />gelu: freezing weather, ice<br /><br />Typically words I learned from a Dutch textbook, hence the somewhat long descriptions. 'braadspit' and 'vorst' in Dutch, respectively.<br /><br />Ingrid