The English Gentleman Latin Title Page

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
TheEnglishGentleman
Textkit Neophyte

The English Gentleman Latin Title Page

Post by TheEnglishGentleman »

I apologize if this is not the right forum, but I'm not sure where else to ask for help. This is the title page from Richard Braithwaite's The English Gentleman. I'm looking for help translating the phrases by each virtue. I believe the one in the middle literally translates, "hope in heaven, foot on ground", but I would appreciate guidance there as well. I understand that a few of these are difficult to read, but this is the largest image I could find. The context may provide some insight. Thank you for any assistance that can be offered.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: The English Gentleman Latin Title Page

Post by adrianus »

Da omnia dicta latina cum conatis tuis.
Give all the sayings and your attempts.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: The English Gentleman Latin Title Page

Post by mwh »

Yes, "Hope in heaven, foot on earth" though it's snazzier in Latin (pes ~ spes, terris ~ caelis), quite apart from the exemplifying pic.
Here's a quick and hesitant stab at the other captions – not to be relied on.
Youth. virtute tute (a good jingle), "by virtue safely"; vox laeta, sed anxia lethi (a hexameter ending) "A joyful voice, but one mindful of death" (?, or "distressed by death"?; and how does this relate to the image?)
Disposition. "Nitimur in vetitum (a quote from Ovid Amores 3.4), we strive for what is forbidden" (Garden of Eden)
Education. Ubera et verbera, "Plenties and beatings"
Vocation. Pascimur et patimur (hexameter beginning), "We are fed and we suffer" (again, better in Latin!)
Recreation. Non arcum semper tendit Apollo (a not quite accurate quote from Horace Odes), "Apollo does not always stretch his bow" (i.e. shoot)
Acquaintance. Certus amor morum est (hexam. beginning), "love of morals (character) is certain" (i.e. something that won't let you down)
Moderation. Moderata durant, lit. "Tempered things, things in moderation, last/endure"
Perfection. Hac caelum petitur via (modified hex. beginning?), "By this route is Heaven sought"
Motto: generoso germine gemmo (alliterative hex. ending), "I grow from noble stock."
I haven't tried to identify the quotes (if that's what they are), beyond the couple I recognized. Maybe others will.