Via fert = via ducit (ad)

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Iacobus de Indianius
Textkit Neophyte

Via fert = via ducit (ad)

Post by Iacobus de Indianius »

LL PSI Cap XXI (p. 163): "Pueri pugnaverunt in via angusta quae Tusculo ad villam Iulii fert.

"The boys fought on the narrow road which leads from Tusculum to the villa of Julius."

This line is easy enough to understand, but Orberg notes in the caption that "via fert = via ducit (ad)."\

Is this a common use of fio, fiere? I can't find it used this way in Lewis and Short.

Thanks

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Via fert = via ducit (ad)

Post by bedwere »

Fero, non fio, amice!

Victor
Textkit Fan

Post by Victor »

Iacobus de Indianius wrote:LL PSI Cap XXI (p. 163): "Pueri pugnaverunt in via angusta quae Tusculo ad villam Iulii fert.

"The boys fought on the narrow road which leads from Tusculum to the villa of Julius."

This line is easy enough to understand, but Orberg notes in the caption that "via fert = via ducit (ad)."\

Is this a common use of fio, fiere? I can't find it used this way in Lewis and Short.

Thanks
Have a look in L&S at fero I. Lit., B, α, Absol., especially the quote from Caesar, B.C. I, 27:
aditus autem atque itinera duo, quae extra murum ad portum ferebant, maximis defixis trabibus atque eis praeacutis praesepit.

Iacobus de Indianius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Iacobus de Indianius »

Thanks guys. Dumb mistake on my part.