Ancient Greek/ English sentences?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
irrationale
Textkit Neophyte

Ancient Greek/ English sentences?

Post by irrationale »

Hi everyone,

I'm learning Ancient Greek on my own, and learn languages by gathering up a massive amount of sentences (ideally with translation). This is similar to All Japanese All The Time (if anyone here has heard of that website).

Does anyone here know of an online source of sentences with English translations? I've already found the answer Key to Greek Book, which is exactly what I'm looking for! I also have Assimil Ancient Greek, but it's in French and thus a little bothersome. Does anyone know of any other large database of sentences?

Thanks!!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Ancient Greek/ English sentences?

Post by bedwere »

Check this thread with links to tables of conversation formulas in Latin and Greek, with English translation.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

If you want to say a little more about your method, we would be interested. The website you reference seems to advocate an immersion approach. What exactly do you with your sentences? What types of sentences are you looking for? How do your incorporate the English?

I would think your best bet would be the sentences from the Greek Ollendorff because they represent comprehensible input and Bedwere has produced a first rate audio. He also has an English answer key.

http://archive.org/details/cu31924031242450

http://archive.org/details/GreekOllendorff96

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40535

I assume that audio and comprehensible input are important to your method, but maybe not?

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

There's also the Writing Greek book by S Anderson and J Taylor.
You will need to get the answer key as the main book has the English sentances and the key has the Greek.
λονδον

irrationale
Textkit Neophyte

Post by irrationale »

Markos wrote:If you want to say a little more about your method, we would be interested. The website you reference seems to advocate an immersion approach. What exactly do you with your sentences? What types of sentences are you looking for? How do your incorporate the English?

I would think your best bet would be the sentences from the Greek Ollendorff because they represent comprehensible input and Bedwere has produced a first rate audio. He also has an English answer key.

http://archive.org/details/cu31924031242450

http://archive.org/details/GreekOllendorff96

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40535

I assume that audio and comprehensible input are important to your method, but maybe not?

Fantastic! That's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks so much.

Basically my method is very similar to the AJATT (All Japanese All The Time, which actually is influenced by Antimoon, an English learning website). It just involves a massive amount of imput using comprehensable, progressively difficult sentences. The sentences can come from anywhere, but I usually use a textbook at the beginning due to the natural progression of difficulty and that fact that it has audio. Translation should be used to an absolute minimum, and audio is always preferred so you can mimic the pronunciation and the intonation.

The sentences are put in an SRS, I use ANKI. I only do input, that is, I just read and understand the sentences, without translating, if possible.

Of course, for spoken languages you must speak, but if you do the method, the sentences will come to your mind automatically, and your mind will make new sentences. I know it works because I used this method, and only this method to learn Japanese without any grammar or anything else (my spoken Japanese isn't that good because I rarely have a chance to practice, but I know I could improve it at will given the practice). I'm fluent in Chinese, Filipino (Tagalog) and Spanish using a similar but less efficiant method.

I'm already learning Greek using this method and Assimil's ancient Greek, but it's troublesome because it's in French, so I occasionally have to translate into English. Since Greek isn't a spoken language, I don't have to worry about speaking practice. I'm not looking at grammar, mainly because I just don't like studying grammar. Given the complex grammar of ancient Greek, this will be an excellent test of the method, so we'll see if it works. Of course, ocassionally looking at a grammar book wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for all the great resources of the site!