qui nunc pars urbis Romae est nomen colli fecit

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

qui nunc pars urbis Romae est nomen colli fecit

Post by pmda »

6) ...post Agrippam Romulus Silvius, a patre accepto imperio, regnat; ipse fulmine ictus Aventino regnum tradidit: is sepultus in eo colle qui nunc pars urbis Romae est nomen colli fecit [dedit]

This last clause is telling us that Aventinus was buried in a forest that gave the Roman district its name….. but I'm not clear about the syntax and I can't get it to make sense:

is sepultus in eo colle [he is buried in that wood] qui nunc pars urbis Romae est nomen colli fecit [to translate literally word for word...which now part of the city of Rome is name to the wood gave] I can't understand what 'colli' [dative] is doing.. it seems circular. : he is buried in that wood which is now part of the city of Rome - ['nomen' is, I think, an accusative object...so what's its subject?] name to the wood gave. Or is it 'He is buried in that wood which, now part of the city of Rome, gave the wood its name' which is circular..?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: qui nunc pars urbis Romae est nomen colli fecit

Post by Qimmik »

Collis means "hill", not "wood".

Sepultus is a participle dependent on is, not the main verb in the clause.

"He, having been burried in that hill which now is part of the city of Rome, gave his name to the hill."

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Of course...!!! Silly me. It's so easy to go wrong in Latin.. Many thanks to you both.. Noted re collis..