Textkit Logo

Colebourn's "Latin Sentence and Idiom"

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Colebourn's "Latin Sentence and Idiom"

Postby Thersites » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:04 am

I just bought this book after hearing that it was good for taking the step from learning beginners' Latin to polishing up in preparation for the full-on classical texts, but have a small problem. The exercises have no answers, and I can't find an answer key on the internet!

Am I just being spoilt in expecting, as with most of the other modern introductory courses to Latin, that there is available either in the book itself or separately suggested answers? Clearly this was a book once used widely in classrooms and as such the teacher would be expected to provide answers, but is there no hope for an autodidact such as myself?

Does anyone know where I can get some answers to the exercises in the bloody thing? Or am I condemned to writing out my answers and hoping I'm not making howling errors along the road?

Cheers.
Thersites
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Colebourn's "Latin Sentence and Idiom"

Postby Carolus Raeticus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Salve Thersites!

If you mean the book "Latin Sentence and Idiom: A Composition Course" by R. Colebourn you're probably out of luck. An answer key has been published by the author (as "A key to Latin sentence and idiom" in 1956 and 1963 and as "Key to the continuous prose passages in 'Latin sentence and idiom'" in 1952). Unfortunately, these do not seem to be readily available as far as I can tell from search results from Google Books and various online "Used books" web-sites.

So, you either work through it without key (and ask for help on this forum if you have serious doubts in some cases) or you switch to a different text book for which an answer key is available.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Fan

Postby furrykef » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:10 pm

Carolus Raeticus wrote:So, you either work through it without key (and ask for help on this forum if you have serious doubts in some cases)

I strongly recommend against this. It's easy to make a lot of mistakes without ever realizing it. Even Benissimus's old answer key for Wheelock had what seemed to be a few clear mistakes in it as a result of attempting this.

Have you tried contacting the publisher? Or is the publisher not around anymore?
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
I also have a lang-8 journal where I practice Spanish and Japanese.
furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Interaxus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:29 pm

Don't despair!

Good old Patruus has included it in his collection of fantastic Latin answer keys:

http://cid-7c51d883593d5954.office.live ... 3D5954!142

I can't understand why Textkit hasn't yet set up a link to such keys somewhere on the site. How difficult would that be?

Cheers,
Int
Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Carolus Raeticus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:45 am

Salve Interaxe!

I did not know about that resource! Cool.

Interaxus wrote:I can't understand why Textkit hasn't yet set up a link to such keys somewhere on the site. How difficult would that be?

I heartily agree with you. I believe that a small but good link list would be very useful for the users. Right now, such links are spread through various postings. In my opinion putting them in one - prominent - place (NOT a posting) would be better. One of the links should refer to Ed Donnelly's wonderful list of downloadable Latin (and Greek) text books in the public domain.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Fan

Postby Thersites » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:25 pm

Thank you all very much indeed for your replies. They were all extremely helpful - particularly Interaxus who, beyond all expectations, actually came up with the answer key! I'd long since begun to doubt it was any longer available. But thank you to all of you who replied, it was greatly appreciated.

I've read a fair bit of the book so far without attempting the exercises, and found it to be an excellent follow-on from the introductory course I did (So You Really Want to Learn Latin). So I'm very pleased I can now get stuck into the exercises.

Oncer again, thank you very much.
Thersites
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Effi » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi, I have tried the link provided by Interaxus, but it doesn't seem to be working for me :( Can anyone help, please? I get terribly stuck at some points with the exercises and I'm probably making many more mistakes than I realize...Thank you!
Effi
Textkit Neophyte

Postby pmda » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:59 pm

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Postby Effi » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:51 pm

Thank you very much! This is so helpful!!
Effi
Textkit Neophyte

Postby nachtebuch » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:33 pm

Wow. That is a brilliant resource. Thank you so much for sharing this! I'm looking to fine-tune my Latin (it's really bad even after two text modules at uni) so this is going to be really, really helpful.
nachtebuch
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin