Textkit Logo

Vocab sorted via NT book?

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

Vocab sorted via NT book?

Postby uberdwayne » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:46 am

Anyone know of some "flashcard software" that has vocabulary separated by frequency in NT Book? I'd like to be able to memorize vocabulary as I go through certain chapters and books! It seems more relevant than going through random words.
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Re: Vocab sorted via NT book?

Postby gregf » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:35 pm

As far as I remember, both Anki (flashcard program) and Memrise (website) offer decks that are keyed to common textbooks. You just have to search a bit. I use both services every day, but in Anki I use the 80% Greek vocab deck, and on memrise I'm working through Greek Prose Composition (thanks Bedwere!).

EDIT: Sorry, I just read your OP more closely: I don't know if they have things that are sorted by frequency, but I generally assume that if you have a good textbook they're going to be throwing the most common stuff at you first anyway.. After a year of pretty intensive Greek study, I'm finding I know about 75 to 90% of the Greek Prose Composition vocabulary already. It's more of a review for me.
gregf
Textkit Neophyte

Postby uberdwayne » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:42 am

Thanks for your reply. I have a working knowledge of the more common words, a vocabulary somewhere around 800 words. However I find that as my vocabulary increases, the likelyhood of using those words decreases, so I lose them. If I could only get the vocabulary for a specific book Im studying, I could learn them in context and drill more frequently. It gets real time consuming to make individual cards for every word. Though I suppose I'd have them handy for future use.
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Postby klewlis » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:48 am

It's paper, not web, but check out Kubo:
http://www.amazon.ca/Readers-Greek-Engl ... kubo+greek

It breaks down chapter/verse and includes words that occur fewer than 50 times in the GNT. So as you're reading a given book, you can look up words directly. Or you could study the words from each book.
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby uberdwayne » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:48 pm

ευχαριστω σοι, κλουλες!

I seen this in my "recommended" section of Amazon and didn't think twice about it. In my on-going effort to increase my vocabular, this will be a great edition for my library!

Can anyone else say anything about this book?

τι νομιζετε;
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Postby Markos » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:39 pm

uberdwayne wrote:Can anyone else say anything about this book? τι νομιζετε;

Haven't Reader's Editions made these Reader's lexicons superfluous and obsolete? Why flip through two books when you can have everything in one book? The R.P. Reader's GNT does include word frequency stats for the GNT as a whole, so you can target which words you want to focus on.

I have the Zondervan Reader's Hebrew Lexicon but have not used it since getting my Reader's Hebrew Bible.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Postby uberdwayne » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:11 am

Μαρκε, φιλε μου!

I would like to be able to review the vocabulary of a given chapter before I dive into the text, as learning it first, then reiterating it in my read-through would (hopefully) help in maintaining my vocabulary better.

Markos wrote: The R.P. Reader's GNT does include word frequency stats for the GNT as a whole, so you can target which words you want to focus on.

You do raise a good point, however... I find the running dictionary in the RP readers text to be cumbersome at best, though not as much as pulling your BDAG from the top shelf. The definitions are not listed but are in 1 seemingly endless block of tiny text, and the information is overkill! (30 words or less would have been better). For my purposes, it would not be ideal to gather the neccessary information. I could use the UBS reader, but the definitions are suited to the context, not the broad range of meaning we get from the RP reader. My goal is to be able to read from a "bare text" without need of the running dictionary.
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Postby klewlis » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:02 pm

personally, I think I would find a reader's text like that too much of a crutch... for me it's better to try to remember it myself. If I need to look it up of course I do, but I don't want it to be *too* easy. :)
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek