BLB, Collar & Daniell, § 22

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Barrius
Textkit Member

BLB, Collar & Daniell, § 22

Post by Barrius »

I'm using D'Ooge's wonderful book, but am also using "The Beginner's Latin Book" by Collar and Daniell due to the wealth of exercises they provide. Can someone be so kind as to check my responses. (With exercise text so no one has to look them up).

Critics welcome. Suggestions taken. Thanks in advance.

Code: Select all

Page 9, § 22.I  
 1. Via est longa.				The street is long.
 2. Dura est via.				 Hard is the way.
 3. Puellae rosas habent.	  The girls have roses.
 4. Regina columbam habet.	 The queen has a dove.
 5. Rosae sunt albae.			The roses are white.
 6. Cauda est alba.			  The tail is white.
 7. Caudae sunt longae.		 The tails are long.
 8. Aquila caudam habet.		The eagle has a tail.
 9. Puellae tubas habent.	  The girls have trumpets.
10. Aquilae sunt magnae.		The eagles are large.

Page 9, § 22.II  
 1. Via dura est longa.					The hard way is long.
 2. Puella bona rosam habet. 			The good girls have a rose.
 3. Columba caudam parvam habet. 	  The dove has a small tail.
 4. Reginae albas rosas habent.		 The queens have white roses.
 5. Rosa parva est alba.				  The small rose is white.
 6. Aquila magna est alba.				The large eagle is white.
 7. Tubae magnae sunt longae.			The large trumpets are long.
 8. Puella tubam longam habet.   	  The girl has a long trumpet.
 9. Filiae bonae columbas habent.	  The good girls have doves.
10. Aquila magna latam caudam habet.  The large eagle has a broad tail.	

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

Yeah, fine. #2 in the latter exercise should have been translated with a singular subject, but you know that.

I think, Barrie, such topics might be posted more aptly in the D'Ooge section, and besides, you seem to be on the ball at the mo, so perhaps external adjudication is not yet required?

cheers,

~dave

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

whiteoctave wrote:Yeah, fine. #2 in the latter exercise should have been translated with a singular subject, but you know that.
Yes, it should be "The good girl has a rose."
I think, Barrie, such topics might be posted more aptly in the D'Ooge section, and besides, you seem to be on the ball at the mo, so perhaps external adjudication is not yet required?

cheers,

~dave
I'll post any further in the D'Ooge section in the future. This does seem easy after doing the D'Ooge section, but I was wanting to make sure of the dative/abalative plural of via: viis. And to verify my translation of "Dura est via."

Thanks,

Barry (and if my Latinized masculine version is incorrect please advise)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I don't think exercises from Collar & Daniell's should be put in the D'Ooge forum. If more users begin using C&D, they will probably end up sharing a forum, but for now I think those are most appropriate to the main Latin Board.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

benissimus wrote:I don't think exercises from Collar & Daniell's should be put in the D'Ooge forum. If more users begin using C&D, they will probably end up sharing a forum, but for now I think those are most appropriate to the main Latin Board.
Future questons on the main Latin board then.

I like D'Ooge's work better - to me he does a better job of explaining the cases, but C&D offers more exercises. Plus they use different vocabularies, so I end up learning a few more words up front. At this stage it's more a matter of repetition to reinforce the lesson. Being older doesn't help memory retention ;o)

But I do love the language already, and appreciate the time that you experts take to respond.

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

Your name is correctly Latinised. Barrie was Barrius in the vocative, although there is a very interesting puzzle about the alternative vocative form of words in -ius as -i (e.g. mi Tulli). I think some ten page article was actually devoted to it in CQ...
...Having looked up the article, its in CQ 50 Issue 2 (2000): "O Egregie Grammatice: the vocative problems of Latin words ending in -ius" by the wonderful Eleanor Dickey (from Columbia University).
Anyone who is interested should check it out,

~dave

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

whiteoctave wrote:Your name is correctly Latinised. Barrie was Barrius in the vocative ....

*Homer Simson voice*: Doh! Sheesh, exactly what I am now studying - 2nd declension.
, although there is a very interesting puzzle about the alternative vocative form of words in -ius as -i (e.g. mi Tulli). I think some ten page article was actually devoted to it in CQ...
The Classical Quarterly. The article is probably over my head at this point, but I'll try to find a copy.