Textkit Logo

Re-learning ancient Greek

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Re-learning ancient Greek

Postby Dorothy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:56 pm

I have been using some of the resources on Textkit for the last couple of weeks, but would like some advice. I did a double major in Greek and Latin from Queen's University in Ontario and am now retired. One of my goals in retirement is to relearn what I learned in university so many years ago. It is coming back fairly easily but would like suggestions on what texts and courses might be most suitable and would get me back actually reading Greek as quickly as possible. I was thinking of ordering Peckett and Munday's Thasymachus. Any thoughts?

I can't find my old university introductory textbook, though I do still have my Freeman and Lowe Greek Reader, my Greek Prose composition, Goodwin and Gulick, and lots and lots of original texts, which, unfortunately, have become "Greek to me." :)
Dorothy
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Re-learning ancient Greek

Postby daivid » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:33 am

Dorothy wrote:I have been using some of the resources on Textkit for the last couple of weeks, but would like some advice. I did a double major in Greek and Latin from Queen's University in Ontario and am now retired. One of my goals in retirement is to relearn what I learned in university so many years ago. It is coming back fairly easily but would like suggestions on what texts and courses might be most suitable and would get me back actually reading Greek as quickly as possible. I was thinking of ordering Peckett and Munday's Thasymachus. Any thoughts?

I can't find my old university introductory textbook, though I do still have my Freeman and Lowe Greek Reader, my Greek Prose composition, Goodwin and Gulick, and lots and lots of original texts, which, unfortunately, have become "Greek to me." :)

Greek to GCSE by John Taylor both 1 and 2 is concise and clear and covers most of the important ground
with Beyond GCSE covering in a somewhat more concise things not covered in the first two.
It should bring it all back to you.

Check out this thread http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12640 for other suggestions.
λονδον
daivid
Textkit Zealot

Return to Open Board