Textkit Logo

eo, ire imperfect active question

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

eo, ire imperfect active question

Postby Calliope » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:14 pm

Hello,

I have been looking everywhere, but I can't find WHY [exactly] the active imperfect from eo, ire is:
ibam, ibas, ibat...
and not:
iebam, iebas, iebat...

I know eo, ire is irregular - but that's not an answer, either :)

I would greatly appreciate any help on this.
Calliope
Textkit Neophyte

Re: eo, ire imperfect active question

Postby Shenoute » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi,

I always found "it's irregular" was a good enough answer :-)
Originally eo had a stem that was *ei-. So the present was *ei-o, *ei-s, *ei-t, etc.
Before a vowel, the "i" was lost, so *ei-o > eo and *ei-unt > eunt.
Before a consonant the "e" was lost, leaving only "i" as the stem. Thus the imperfect i-bam, etc.

Taken from :
Ernout, Morphologie historique du latin, 1914, p.262-263
Bennett, The Latin language, a historical outline of its sounds inflections, and syntax, 1907, p.154
Shenoute
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Calliope » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:58 pm

Thanks for your answer, it cleared up some things.
But I was actually thinking why "eo, ire" is conjugated as a 1st / 2nd conjugation verb in imperfect ("-ba-" instead of "-eba-"), because it seemed to me that the 4th conjugation would have been more logical ("-i" before the infinitive ending).

I guess it's really not that important, but I started thinking about this because at first I learned that "ire" in imperfect is "iebam, iebas..." - from a textbook that had an error regarding this. Afterwards I checked in some 10 other places, and it was always "ibam, ibas...".

I guess the mistake in the textbook got me thinking too much about this :)
Calliope
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Shenoute » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:10 am

From what I read here and there, it is in fact the 4th conjugation that is irregular while ire has kept the regular/original forms. Originally the imperfect and the future of 4th conjugation verbs was in -b- like the 1st and 2nd conjugation but at some point (and surely because of their common ending -io), they began to "borrow" forms from the -io verbs of the 3rd conjugation.

This explains that, for some verbs, "irregular" forms can sometimes be found :
- audibis instead of audiam (Ennius, Pancratiastes, 382)
- audibam instead of audiebam (Ovidius, Her. XIV, 37)
- see also here for references to "irregular" forms of verbs based on eo.

Disclaimer. This is based mainly on what I read here but I am not sure I understood all of this correctly (and maybe research on Indo-european has modified this conception during the last century), please correct me if this is the case.
Shenoute
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin