ferox viribus

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

ferox viribus

Post by pmda »

Ibi cum eum somnus oppressisset, pastor quidam nomine Cacus, ferox viribus, boves pulcherrimos e grege rapere et praedam in speluncam suam abdere voluit.

ferox viribus? - mad with power? This doesn't seem very intuitive. A shepherd driven mad with power seems a bit odd. Do I have this wrong...

whsiv
Textkit Neophyte

Re: ferox viribus

Post by whsiv »

Salve,

Brutally strong, maybe, or brutal in respect to his strength. ferox is in apposition to Cacus (nominative), and viribus you could call an ablative of specification/quality/description.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Gratias tibi ago.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

In my part of the world, people say "fiercely strong" or "fierce strong" and "fiercely proud" or "fierce proud" and "fierce handsome", with "fiercely" meaning "extremely".
Nostrâ in regione, ferociter vel ferox pro adprimè dicitur.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

I guess since he drags the cattle by the tail into the cave he's got to be pretty fit..

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

I guess since he drags the cattle by the tail into the cave he's got to be pretty fit..