Are English Speakers Slow speakers?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Are English Speakers Slow speakers?

Post by uberdwayne »

Hey guys, a question for you (υμιν).

Is it just me? or does it seem like native english speakers speak they're language slowly? When I listen to someone speak in French of Spanish, even a native greek reading the NT, I find their tempo for the language is much quicker than we as english speakers!

any thoughts on this?
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Are English Speakers Slow speakers?

Post by Markos »

It must be all our pregnant pauses. βαρβαρ...βαρβαρ...βαρβαρ... :mrgreen:

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda »

It's just you. :) I always find it pretty hard to follow a native who speaks English, though I don't have problems reading. Communicating in English with other non-natives is much easier. I've never been to an English speaking country, maybe that's why.

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Post by uberdwayne »

Eitherway, It seems to me as though (hang on, this is gonna be greatly exaggerated...) as a native english speaker, I could finish a sentance in 5 seconds.... But If I listen to someone who is native French, they speak same amount of syllables in 3 seconds.

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

If you are listening to someone who you are having trouble understanding then they will be talking too fast for you. For that reason I am very skeptical of any subjective impressions that speakers of a language that you are not a native speaker of speaker faster than your own.

When a speaker of English as a second language says that English speakers speak slowly then I will take note. I have yet to hear this.
λονδον

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Post by uberdwayne »

This is a very good point! I have never herd a non native english speaker say we speak slowly. I suppose if this were to happen, it would be less subjective :)