nec quisquam ad ipsum amnis cursum adire poterat

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

nec quisquam ad ipsum amnis cursum adire poterat

Post by pmda »

In LLPSI Cap XLI Orberg scribit:

Forte super ripas Tiberis effusus erat nec quisquam ad ipsum amnis cursum adire poterat; itaque servi regis in proximo stagno, quod infra collem Palatinum factum erat, pueros exponunt.

'nec quisquam.....poterat' : and no one was able go by the same path of the river'.

I'm not sure why 'amnis' is in genitive case... is it literally what I have above in English..?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: nec quisquam ad ipsum amnis cursum adire poterat

Post by Qimmik »

Amnis depends on ipsum cursum. "and no one could go to the actual bed [ipsum . . . cursum] of the river".

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Thanks. So you'd translate cursus as 'river bed' in this context, right...? How about 'place' or 'stretch'

as in 'No one could go to this same stretch of river...'...?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

"No one could go to the actual course of the river" might be an ok translation. The cursus of the river is the bed or course in which it flows, not a specific portion of the river. The whole area was flooded, so the actual banks of the river were under water. I would translate ipsum by "actual" in idiomatic English, not "the same."

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Et aptum anglicè "get to", "reach" vel "approach" pro adire verbo.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

...but isn't the point that no one is likely to find the twins in this same place..and riverbed doesn't seem intuitive or even that idiomatic?? But that what's being referred to is the inaccessibility of THIS part or stretch of the river?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

As I read the Latin, it says that the river was flooding, and no one could get to the actual bed or course of the river; so the slaves exposed the boys in a nearby marsh which had been created under the Palatine.

http://perseus.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/phi ... isandshort

See I.2: "so of the course or flow of a stream, Ov. M. 1, 282; 9, 18; Plin. 5, 24, 20, § 85"

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Ok great. I will take a closer look. Thanks.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Better for "riverbed" in Latin is "alveus" or "canalis". The "cursus" is the "flow" or "course" or "direction of flow" that could potentially carry off what you throw in. The river's course sculpts and follows the riverbed but the riverbed won't carry off anything.

Nec "alveus" nec "canalis" est "cursus" quod solus cursus auferendi sensum impertit.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

If you want to translate cursum as "the course of the river", that's fine. The point I was trying to make is that the river had overflowed its banks and the bed of the river -- the course in which it normally flowed -- was not accessible. I was trying to correct pmda's misunderstanding that cursum amnis meant a path to the river or a specific stretch of the river. It doesn't make as good sense in English at least to say that the course of the river was inaccessible due to flooding--it was the actual river bed that was inaccessible. Translate it however you want to.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Quimmik. Many thanks for your help (and your patience!). Actually my problem was that, for some reason, I was assuming that this was where the Tiber flowed into the sea and I was translating 'ripas' as beach. Don't ask me why. Now that you've explained it it makes perfect sense.