Acts 4:10-11 Luke's use of pronouns

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

Acts 4:10-11 Luke's use of pronouns

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

Acts 4:10-11 SBLGNT γνωστὸν ἔστω πᾶσιν ὑμῖν καὶ παντὶ τῷ λαῷ Ἰσραὴλ ὅτι ἐν τῷ ὀνόματι Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ τοῦ Ναζωραίου, ὃν ὑμεῖς ἐσταυρώσατε, ὃν ὁ θεὸς ἤγειρεν ἐκ νεκρῶν, ἐν τούτῳ οὗτος παρέστηκεν ἐνώπιον ὑμῶν ὑγιής. 11 οὗτός ἐστιν ὁ λίθος ὁ ἐξουθενηθεὶς ὑφʼ ὑμῶν τῶν ⸀οἰκοδόμων, ὁ γενόμενος εἰς κεφαλὴν γωνίας.

Second person pronoun is unnecessary ὃν ὑμεῖς ἐσταυρώσατε and therefore marked. In οὗτός ἐστιν ὁ λίθος ὁ ἐξουθενηθεὶς ὑφʼ ὑμῶν τῶν ⸀οἰκοδόμων, ὑμῶν is necessary, added to citation from LXX:

Psalms 118:22

22 aλιθον ον απεδοκιμασαν οι οικοδομουντες ουτος εγενηθη εις κεφαλην γωνιας

After reading outside to NT for a while, Luke in Acts seems a little bit lavish in the use of pronouns. In this particular passage he is nailing his verbal opponents to the wall, the pronouns being the hammer.

postscript:
Used Tyndale STEP for my work on this. It has the SBLGNT, though at this time it is an untagged text. I don't need the tags. If you want to read a tagged SBLGNT go here: http://morphgnt.org/sblgnt/
C. Stirling Bartholomew

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Re: Acts 4:10-11 Luke's use of pronouns

Post by uberdwayne »

Second person pronoun is unnecessary ὃν ὑμεῖς ἐσταυρώσατε and therefore marked.
This seems to really bring out the imagery, you can almost see Stephen pointing his finger with an outstretched arm as he declares it to them! Marked or not, the context is very clear with the force given to the pronoun. Its hard to miss! I like your analogy of the pronoun being the hammer.
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ