Textkit Logo

Whic GNT do you use?

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

Whic GNT do you use?

Postby uberdwayne » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Which GNT do you currently read from? There are many editions of the GNT available today, and I was wondering if anyone used something that differs from the standard NA/UBS texts.

I've been using the UBS4 readers edition simply because it has quality binding, good layout for the running dictionary, a good font and small enough to carry around! As far as actual text goes, Im on the fence with a Byzentine text such as RP or Wilbure Pickering because, IMHO, there is less subjectivity when selecting the readings that should go in the text.

What do you think?
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Re: Whic GNT do you use?

Postby Markos » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:01 pm

I am in a situation similar to you. As a practical matter, the GNT I use the most often continues to be my Zondervan Reader's Edition (First Edition.) I don't need or use the glosses any more, and I have never liked the font, but I use it because it is the most portable and flexible, the only GNT that you can fold up as if it is a newspaper and stick in your back pocket. I love the light weight paper and the fake leather cover feels good in your hand. This text happens to be based on the reconstructed Greek text that underlays the NIV, so if differs in a few places from the NA 28.

I'm fairly convinced that the Byzantine Text is more original. My view is that the Alexandrian text is a shortened text reproduced by memory, which explains why a phrase here or there is left out. I also think that lots of ink is wasted trying to work out grammatical oddities that are found in only the few manuscripts that underlay the NA 28.

So, all things being equal, I prefer to read from my Robinson-Pierpont or my Trinitarian Bible Society Textus Receptus. I also dig my editions with facing Modern Greek versions.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Postby uberdwayne » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Alexandrian text is a shortened text reproduced by memory

Fewer letters on very expensive Vellum or papyrus makes a cheaper production! Too.
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Postby uberdwayne » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:26 am

So, all things being equal, I prefer to read from my Robinson-Pierpont or my Trinitarian Bible Society Textus Receptus. I also dig my editions with facing Modern Greek versions.

Wilbur M Pickering has an interesting take on a specific family of Byzantine type manuscripts. His differs from Robinson-Peirpont in about 1500 places, most minute. He hasn't published it yet, but, according to some recent emails, he's looking into it. The reason I mention this is because in an email back and forth, he sent me an overview of the general epistles, and from his collations so far of family 35 or Kr for Von Soden's Classification, hes come across a number of manuscripts which show NO VARIATION when comparing NT book by NT book. On top of this, there seems to be a very careful "transmission" of the family of byzantine manuscripts. Let me know what you think. Here's his website http://www.walkinhiscommandments.com/ His GNT is available here as well in PDF form.

I know this is more of a "textual critical" discussion, but because its Koine Greek, I think it fits here.
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Postby gregf » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:22 pm

I was in Rome in July and bought a paperback copy of the UBS Greek New Testament A Reader's Edition at a book store near the Vatican, and I've come to really enjoy reading it. I also have a cheap interlinear that I've stopped using all together, and I spend a fair amount of time using Logos on my computer to look things up in dictionaries and grammars.

Right now I'm working through a list of Koine texts ordered by difficulty that I was given by my professor at the Greek course I mentioned above. I'm using my new bible to read through John's epistles (the easiest on my list), and am now about to finish Revelation (next easiest on the list). After that, the Gospels of Mark, John, and Luke.
gregf
Textkit Neophyte

Postby C. S. Bartholomew » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Simple answer, all of them. Have gotten tired of using UBSGNT3 because the paragraph breaks and headings impose a particular exegetical scheme on the text which is hard to ignore. Have a large print NA27 which is easy to read. Have two print copies of Robinson-Pierpont, plus a tagged version in Tyndale-STEP. Have several e-versions of SBLGNT, no hard copy. Occasionally use the tagged Westcott-Hort in Tyndale-STEP. Have a hard copy of Hodges-Farstad which I consult perhaps one or twice a year. Have several tagged texts of TR in Tyndale-STEP which I have used in testing Tyndale-STEP, otherwise never consult. Have an ancient paperback TR in Jay Greens interlinear which I look at once in a long while. Always back and forth between hard copy and e-texts.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek