Wheelock's answer key?

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
Philosophia
Textkit Neophyte

Wheelock's answer key?

Post by Philosophia »

Is there an answer key for Wheelock's seventh edition available anywhere? I read that the original answer key was taken down at the request of the publisher and if needed one could be obtained by emailing the publisher. However, I emailed the publisher two weeks ago and still have no response. I'm sure everyone doesn't mind answering questions that I have with translations, but I'd really like to be able to quickly check my answers to the questions I for the most part understand and don't need too much guidance.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re: Wheelock's answer key?

Post by Jeff Tirey »

The only thing I can say is to request it from the publisher. I have made a promise to the publishers and to the textbook authors to not distribute the key. In fact, it's deleted and I do not have a copy.

We use to have a key on Texttkit that was created by a forum member. It was his independent work and his view on the answers where he wished to share and help other learners. However, I took it down. He posted the key at Textkit for the benefit of adults and independent learners. However, I was contacted by Mr. LaFleur himself who made a very compelling argument that in this day and age, having keys online to popular textbooks which are used at highs school and college level classrooms causes more harm than good. While my natural view on things is rather libertarian where I side with the individual, in this case a greater-good argument won me over.

For me, Mr. LaFleur gave me a new perspective on what's happening in classrooms these days. He shared with my that the key directly resulted in students receiving failing grades and in even expulsion when they are caught. Textkit is about helping each other learn and in this case it was causing the opposite. There are times when we are forced to rethink our good intentions and this was one case where it seemed to me that a key was off-course from our intentions.

The whole subject of the roll the Internet plays in academic dishonesty is a subject I am far removed from. I'm not an educator. I'm both older (the Internet was just getting going in any meaningful way by time I completed graduate school) and I didn't understand how the Internet has caused a wildfire of academic dishonesty. I'm saying this just for some background on how we have arrived at this point and I wish you luck learning Latin.

Thanks,
Jeff
Textkit Founder

Philosophia
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Wheelock's answer key?

Post by Philosophia »

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I completely understand why there is no answer key here; I often find people in my school neglecting doing actual work and just copying it from online resources. Once again thank you for the response and I appreciate you wishing me good luck.