Early Fathers and Church Writings

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Early Fathers and Church Writings

Post by uberdwayne »

Hey All,

I've compiled a number of public domain writings from the Apostolic fathers into a handy PDF :) I have, the Didache, number of epistles from Ignatius, Barnabas, Clement, Shephard of Hermas and others in greek. I've formatted them into a document for the purpose of printing a 9 x 6 book (I work at a printshop and my boss lets me run personal jobs from time to time). I will be finishing the table of contents tonight.

The text has been taken from Lake Kirsopp's publication from the "Christian Ethereal Library" which originated from Loeb Classical Library, which was first published in 1913. This work is in the public domain so there are no copyright laws being broken.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this, is because I'd like to offer it up to whoever wants it. I think too, it'd make a great edition to the library here at text kit.

Also, there are likely going to be some errors from the conversion to Unicode PDF. If anyone wants to help me look for them, that'd be great too. I'm not making money or selling this at all, I just wanted a hardcopy of these for my own library and figured everyone else could benefit from it.

Let me know what you think.
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Early Fathers and Church Writings

Post by Markos »

I think this is an excellent idea. There are so many useful public domain resources available, and it does make sense to edit and combine these into single volumes. I, for one, have never liked reading Greek texts on line, so printed editions have always been appealing to me.

As technology continues to improve, it will be easier and easier for people to self-publish/print on demand all sorts of things. This should in turn lower the cost of published works.

Having said that, in this case you are competing with Michael Holmes' excellent hard cover edition of the Apostolic fathers, which in terms of quality of the binding, font, price et. cet. will be hard to beat.

Ilion
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ilion »

Excellent! I am looking forward for your compilation.

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

Bravo!

Keep us posted for your release, please.

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Post by uberdwayne »

I feel I was a bit vague, I'd be offering the PDF file freely to anyone who wants it. not an actual hardcopy. Though one could print one very easily from the pdf. I didn't get a chance to finish the Table of Contents yet, and I may not until the beginning of next week now :(. We're going camping, and I'm sure the last thing my wife would want is me plugging away at the computer. lol

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Post by uberdwayne »

an update...

I've finished the Table of Contents, I'm just double checking with Christian Ethereal Library to ensure I'm not stepping on any toes. Once I receive verification that the Greek text I used form them has no other caveats to it, I will release the file into the public domain.

Perhaps if it goes through, we could make it a community project to add an english translation :)