morphological help please. Mk 8.37 'doi'

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
kingbenlucas
Textkit Neophyte

morphological help please. Mk 8.37 'doi'

Post by kingbenlucas »

Hey,

Mounce lists this verb as being aor act subj 3 sg. The trouble I'm having is that I can't understand why that's the case! I have looked through 'morphology of biblical greek' but am left none the wiser. If anyone is able to explain the form I would be most grateful. Thank you.

Benjamin.

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Re: morphological help please. Mk 8.37 'doi'

Post by uberdwayne »

Don't forget that this is a μι verb. Non-indicative moods also do not utilize the augment (initial "ε"). Because its Aorist, and we do not have the initial reduplication either. So it would look something like this with the 3rd singular ending added: δοσι. the "intervocalic sigma" drops out because it doesn't like being between vowels and thus we get δοι. Everywhere else in the NT it appears as "δῳ". it looks as though that "δοι" is a variant spelling of δῳ, which is also Aoirst Active Subjunctive 3s of διδομι.
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ

kingbenlucas
Textkit Neophyte

Re: morphological help please. Mk 8.37 'doi'

Post by kingbenlucas »

Thank you for your reply, very helpful indeed.