Cleobis and Biton

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Philosophia
Textkit Neophyte

Cleobis and Biton

Post by Philosophia »

I couldn't find any threads with this story from Thirty-Eight Latin Stories so if someone doesn't mind, can you check my translation?
I don't know how to type the macrons on a keyboard so I apologize, but here is the latin:

Cleobis Bitonque erant filii Cydippes. Cydippe erat sacerdos deae Iunonis. Videre magnam statuam Iunonis Cydippe desiderabat. Sed procul erat statua, et Cydippe ambulare non poterat; pueri boves non habebant. Cleobis Bitonque Cydippen amabant; ipsi igitur plaustrum tractabant. Labor erat arduus, but filii Cydippes robusti erant. Nunu cydippe statuam videre poterat; quare Iunoni supplicavit; "O pulchra dea! Cleobis Bitonque bonos mores et vurtutem habent. da igitur meis filiis optimum praemium." Propter preces Cydippes Uino pueris sine mora mortem sine dolore dedit. Cleobis Bitonque nunc beati in perpetua pace sunt.

My English:

Cleobis and Biton were the sons of Cydippe. Cydippe was Juno's priestess. Cydippe was desiring to see a great statue of Juno. But the state was far away and Cydippe was not able to walk; the children did not have oxen. Cleobis and Biton loved Cydippe therefore they would pull the cart themselves. The labor was difficult, but the sons of Cydippe were strong. Now Cydippe was able to see the statue therefore she prayed to the statue: "Oh beautiful goddess! Cleobis and Biton have good morals and virtue. Therefore give my sons the best rewards. Because of Cydippe's prayers juno gave them, without delay, death without pain. Now Cleobis and Biton will be happy in perpetual peace.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Cleobis and Biton

Post by adrianus »

Optimam versionem tuam anglicam esse puto.
I reckon your English translation is excellent.

"bonos mores et virtutem habent" = ut dicis, "they have good morals and virtue" quod perbonum est, aliter anglicè "They are well behaved and courageous" at tuam versionem praefero.
"beati in perpetua pace sunt" = "they are blessed with perpetual peace."
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

"But the state was far away" You meant to write "statue," of course.

"Cleobis and Biton will be happy in perpetual peace" The Latin verb sunt is present tense.

There are a few typos in the Latin--I assume you meant to write sed, not "but"; otherwise the translation is good.

Philosophia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Philosophia »

Thank you very much guys. Yeah I apologize for the typos I got home late last night and was so tired, but I wanted to do some studying. I really should have put more care into typing it.