Memento morTi

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
MirjamvdBerg
Textkit Neophyte

Memento morTi

Post by MirjamvdBerg »

Hello,

Not having had any Latin in school, I'm wondering whether the phrase 'Memento morti' - WITH 't'- would be grammatically correct and what the exact meaning is.

I'm looking for a variation on 'Memento mori', preferably one that translates as 'Remember the dead (people)', or 'Remember death'. Not so much 'Remember to die/we're mere mortals'.

Many thanks.
Mirjam

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Memento morTi

Post by adrianus »

Gratus nobis tuus adventus, Mirjama.
Welcome, Mirjam.

Ut credo, sic anglicè "memento morti" collocatio significat quod non grammaticè dicitur:
I would say "memento morti" means this, which isn't grammatical: "Remember to/for death (mors mortis in dative)" or "Remember by/with/from death" (ablative of mors mortis)

"Memento mortuos" = "Remember those who are dead/the dead" (mortuus in the accusative case plural)
"Memento mortem" = "Remember death." (mors mortis in accusative)
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Memento morTi

Post by bedwere »

Licet et uti genitivo: memento mortis, memento mortuorum

You can also use the genitive.

Valete!