Help?

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Christy4Christ
Textkit Neophyte

Help?

Post by Christy4Christ »

Can anyone give me a simple translation of this verse?

34αμην λεγω υμιν ου μη παρελθη η γενεα αυτη εως αν παντα ταυτα γενηται

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help?

Post by mingshey »

Christy4Christ wrote:Can anyone give me a simple translation of this verse?

ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι οὐ μὴ παρέλθῃ ἡ γενεὰ αὕτη ἕως ἂν πάντα ταῦτα γένηται.
Hi, Christy!
I'm not good at Greek, but I think I could give you a quick hand.
ἀμὴν Hebrew. truly
λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι I say to you that ...
οὐ μὴ παρέλθῃ ἡ γενεὰ αὕτη this race(generation) (won't ) pass by(pass away:3rd. sg. act) {double negation = emphasis?}
ἕως ἂν πάντα ταῦτα γένηται. until all these( things) happen(:3rd pl. mid.).

which makes up:
Truly I say to you that this generation shall not pass by until all these things happen.

For detailed analysis, see: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... %3D%232702
Last edited by mingshey on Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

the double negative is for emphasis... sometimes we do it "not even" or something along those lines.

the only thing I would change in mingshey's translation is to say "pass away", since it generally has that sense of almost death... rather than just passing by. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

klewlis wrote: the only thing I would change in mingshey's translation is to say "pass away", since it generally has that sense of almost death... rather than just passing by. :)

You're right. I wasn't quite sure about it. My poor English. :oops: Now I inserted 'by' after 'pass' with certainty. Thanks. ;)