Textkit Logo

Help?

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.

Help?

Postby Christy4Christ » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:12 am

Can anyone give me a simple translation of this verse?

34αμην λεγω υμιν ου μη παρελθη η γενεα αυτη εως αν παντα ταυτα γενηται
Christy4Christ
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Help?

Postby mingshey » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:01 am

Christy4Christ wrote:Can anyone give me a simple translation of this verse?

[face=SPIonic] a)mh\n le/gw u(mi=n o(/ti ou) mh\ pare/lqh| h( genea\ au(/th e(/wj a)\n pa/nta tau=ta ge/nhtai.[/face]

Hi, Christy!
I'm not good at Greek, but I think I could give you a quick hand.
[face=SPIonic]a)mh\n [/face] Hebrew. truly
[face=SPIonic]le/gw u(mi=n o(/ti [/face] I say to you that ...
[face=SPIonic]ou) mh\ pare/lqh| h( genea\ au(/th[/face] this race(generation) (won't ) pass by(pass away:3rd. sg. act) {double negation = emphasis?}
[face=SPIonic] e(/wj a)\n pa/nta tau=ta ge/nhtai.[/face] until all these( things) happen(:3rd pl. mid.).

which makes up:
Truly I say to you that this generation shall not pass by until all these things happen.

For detailed analysis, see: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus:text:1999.01.0155&query=verse%3D%232702
Last edited by mingshey on Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby klewlis » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:41 pm

the double negative is for emphasis... sometimes we do it "not even" or something along those lines.

the only thing I would change in mingshey's translation is to say "pass away", since it generally has that sense of almost death... rather than just passing by. :)
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mingshey » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:40 am

klewlis wrote:the only thing I would change in mingshey's translation is to say "pass away", since it generally has that sense of almost death... rather than just passing by. :)

You're right. I wasn't quite sure about it. My poor English. :oops: Now I inserted 'by' after 'pass' with certainty. Thanks. ;)
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Return to Koine and Biblical Greek