Textkit Logo

Help?

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

Help?

Postby Christy4Christ » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:12 am

Can anyone give me a simple translation of this verse?

34αμην λεγω υμιν ου μη παρελθη η γενεα αυτη εως αν παντα ταυτα γενηται
Christy4Christ
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Help?

Postby mingshey » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:01 am

Christy4Christ wrote:Can anyone give me a simple translation of this verse?

[face=SPIonic] a)mh\n le/gw u(mi=n o(/ti ou) mh\ pare/lqh| h( genea\ au(/th e(/wj a)\n pa/nta tau=ta ge/nhtai.[/face]

Hi, Christy!
I'm not good at Greek, but I think I could give you a quick hand.
[face=SPIonic]a)mh\n [/face] Hebrew. truly
[face=SPIonic]le/gw u(mi=n o(/ti [/face] I say to you that ...
[face=SPIonic]ou) mh\ pare/lqh| h( genea\ au(/th[/face] this race(generation) (won't ) pass by(pass away:3rd. sg. act) {double negation = emphasis?}
[face=SPIonic] e(/wj a)\n pa/nta tau=ta ge/nhtai.[/face] until all these( things) happen(:3rd pl. mid.).

which makes up:
Truly I say to you that this generation shall not pass by until all these things happen.

For detailed analysis, see: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus:text:1999.01.0155&query=verse%3D%232702
Last edited by mingshey on Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby klewlis » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:41 pm

the double negative is for emphasis... sometimes we do it "not even" or something along those lines.

the only thing I would change in mingshey's translation is to say "pass away", since it generally has that sense of almost death... rather than just passing by. :)
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mingshey » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:40 am

klewlis wrote:the only thing I would change in mingshey's translation is to say "pass away", since it generally has that sense of almost death... rather than just passing by. :)

You're right. I wasn't quite sure about it. My poor English. :oops: Now I inserted 'by' after 'pass' with certainty. Thanks. ;)
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek