Textkit Logo

John 10:8 question

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

John 10:8 question

Postby uberdwayne » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:18 am

John 10:8 wrote:πάντες ὅσοι ἦλθον πρὸ ἐμοῦ κλέπται εἰσιν καὶ λῃσταί, ἀλλ’ οὐκ ἤκουσαν αὐτῶν τὰ πρόβατα.

Hey Guys, I'm having some problems with the second word in this passage. It seems the english translations ignore it. How does ὅσοι modify πάντες. what force does it have?
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Re: John 10:8 question

Postby Markos » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:35 pm

χαίρε, φίλε Υβερδωαινε!

τὸ "πάντες ὅσοι ἦλθον πρὸ ἐμοῦ" σημαίνει "πάντες οἳ ἦλθον πρὸ ἐμοῦ," "πάντες οἱ ἐλθόντες πρὸ ἐμοῦ," "πάντες οἱ πρόδομοί μου."

ἔρρωσο!
I am writing in Ancient Greek not because I know Greek well, but because I hope that it will improve my fluency in reading. I got the idea for this from Adrianus over on the Latin forum here at Textkit.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Postby uberdwayne » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:46 pm

τὸ "πάντες ὅσοι ἦλθον πρὸ ἐμοῦ" σημαίνει "πάντες οἳ ἦλθον πρὸ ἐμοῦ," "πάντες οἱ ἐλθόντες πρὸ ἐμοῦ," "πάντες οἱ πρόδομοί μου."

These three sentences all mean the same thing? Are there any shades of meaning or nuances? or do they all remain semantically the same?
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Postby Markos » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:28 pm

uberdwayne wrote:

These three sentences all mean the same thing? Are there any shades of meaning or nuances? or do they all remain semantically the same?

χαῖρε φίλε! ἡδέως λέγοιμί σοι ἢ Ἑλληνιστὶ ἢ Βρεττανικῇ!

Yes, I think they mean BASICALLY the same thing. The shades of meaning are too nuanced to be captured objectively and systematically. It's possible that the ὅσοι adds a bit of indefiniteness-- "all who came or might have come," or emphasis-- "ALL who came," or durativeness-- "all who ever came at any time." But these are all guesses, all attempts to read the mind of an author who is not hear to laugh and tell us that we are reading things into his words that he never meant. It's just as likely, in my humble opinion as a semantic minimalist, that John felt the need, subconsciously, for a few extra syllables to balance out his sentence.

There are three ways to answer the question "What does πάντες ὅσοι ἦλθον πρὸ ἐμοῦ mean?" 1. You can translate it into English. 2. You can use meta-language jargon. (relative correlative pronoun with exclamatory force, subject of ἦλθον) 3. You can paraphrase it in Ancient Greek. I have come to prefer the third method as the least of three evils.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek