perf. part. of depnonent

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

perf. part. of depnonent

Post by pmda »

OK....now here's where I fear that I'm about to expose the Orberg method to much criticism by revealing terrible ignorance about something that I should have understood long ago.

In order to assist memorisation of vocabulary I'm writing mnemonic Latin sentences into flash cards. So from this sentence from LLPSI I'm trying to remember the meaning of mereor, mereri, meritus sum: "Numquam, regina, negabo te bene meritam esse de me, nec me paenitebit tui meminisse, dum memoria mihi est, dum animam duco!'

by the mnemonic

Post multas victorias suas Caesar multas divitias meritum esse putatus est.

Does this look OK?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: perf. part. of depnonent

Post by Qimmik »

The form should be nominative -- meritus -- because it agrees with Caesar, even though it's indirect speech. I can't find a specific citation for this point in Allen & Greenough, but examples 3, 4, 5 and 6 in in section 582 illustrate this.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ythp%3D582

Also, esse would probably be omitted in "real" Latin. And in any event, the active verb mereo (in this case, meruisse), which exists alongside the deponent mereor, would result in a smoother sentence.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... r0#lexicon

I would use the imperfect putabatur here, since this was a general state of affairs that didn't suddenly occur at a particular moment in time. But I'm not sure that puto is the right verb here. Maybe censeo would be better.

You might be better off finding a mnemonic sentence that doesn't involve a passive verb of indirect discourse.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: perf. part. of depnonent

Post by pmda »

Post multas victorias suas Caesar multas divitias meretur (puto!). ?