Line 19 in the Iliad

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Spanky
Textkit Neophyte

Line 19 in the Iliad

Post by Spanky »

hi all! :) first post. Great place! :D

Why is ἱκέσθαι not deemed a Present Medio-passive Infinitive?

All the tags I've consulted say it's an Aorist Middle Infinitive. An aorist would have a sigma and alpha right?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Line 19 in the Iliad

Post by Qimmik »

There are two verbs formed from the same root, with approximately the same meaning:

1. ἱκνέομαι, a middle (medio-passive) deponent, with a second aorist, ἱκόμην, inf. ἴκεσθαι. This is the verb in Il. 1.19.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... ai#lexicon

2. ἵκω, active, also with a second aorist, but a sigmatic one, ἷξον. (Usually sigmatic aorists have the -α endings.)

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... ai#lexicon

This is confusing, but if you're reading Homer for the first time, you need to become accustomed to the proliferation of alternative forms. Having several forms for the same grammatical category of the same verbal concept made it convenient for someone composing oral poetry in performance to fit an appropriate form in a particular metrical slot. Whether or not the texts of the Homeric poems were actually composed in performance, it's clear that they were the product of a tradition of oral performances.

Also, note that ἱκέσθαι is parallel to ἐκπέρσαι, which is also aorist.

Spanky
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Spanky »

Wow! Fabulous answer, thank you. Just a momentary confusion. I see exactly what you mean. And one would expect the aorist given the parallel you mention.

Thanks again!

What a great place this is! :D

Cheers,

Spanks

oliveman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by oliveman »

As a follow up to this, I can't figure out what case ἐκπέρσαι is in in line 19. I know it's aor. act. inf., but I can't figure out the rest.

MattK
Textkit Member

Post by MattK »

As it's an infinitive, it's not marked for case - it has the same form regardless of its function in the sentence. Here, it follows the verb δοῖεν a couple of lines back - a form of the verb δίδωμι

oliveman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by oliveman »

You’re right about that one. Was confused there for a minute. Thanks.