Pronunciation of moneō

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
QMord
Textkit Neophyte

Pronunciation of moneō

Post by QMord »

Wheelock's Latin says that a short o is pronounced like the o in off or orb and that a long ō is pronounced like the o in clover.

Why is moneō pronounced 'm oh nay oh' instead of 'mah nay oh' ?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Pronunciation of moneō

Post by Qimmik »

Actually, if that's what Wheelock writes, he's wrong. The o vowel in English "clover" is really a diphthong with a slight w glide at the end. In Latin long ō would be pronounced as a pure o sound with no glide. And the Latin short o would probably have been pronounced with the lips more rounded than American English "off".

citizen
Textkit Neophyte

Post by citizen »

Yes, "no diphtong!", writes Ørberg too. His example is a Scottish 'go'. It's an elongated close-mid back rounded vowel (Wikipedia).

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

According to the ancient grammarians, there is no difference in sound between long and short vowels, just the length of the sound. I think that is true. I suspect it is a habit of English-speakers to use different sounds to distinguish long and short vowels. That clipping a long, full sound seems to result in a different sound is a separate issue, related to the formation of a full sound over time. I don't think an Italian student of Latin distinguishes long and short in the manner that English speakers were taught to.

Secundum grammaticos antiquos, nullum discrimen exstat inter brevis vocalis sonum et sonum longae, solum est longitudinis vel longinquitatis discrimen. Rectè dicunt, ut opinor. Consuetudo olim erat, ut suspicor, eorum quo anglicè loquuntur ut longitudo vocalis aliter distinguatur. Longa et plena vocalis spatium temporis requirit ut ea planè sonetur, qui correpta aliter sonari videtur. Non novus autem est sonus. De sonis vocalum non itidem sonat italicus latinae linguae discipulus eius qui est anglicus vel americanus.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Godmy
Textkit Member

Post by Godmy »

I have made a recording.

My mother tongue actively distinguishes long a,e,i, o, u and short a,e,i,o,u and making it wrong can change the meaning... I don't see what it should be suddenly a problem with Romans in Rome in the classical period ;)

Btw.: MP3 extension is not allowed in the attachments? A mistake... users would like to hear the pronunciation sometimes and what better lossy format there is.
Latin IRC chat: http://textkit.com/greek-latin-forum/vi ... =3&t=62017
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Non est Romanis difficultas. Modo repeto quod dicunt grammatici antiqui. Porrò, non varias modum o litterae sonandi in moneo verbo, separatim per longinquitatem, Godmy. Sonas ut dicunt grammatici antiqui, non ut dicunt qui anglicè loqui solent.

The Romans didn't have a problem. I'm just repeating what the ancient grammarians said. And I say your o's in moneo sound the same, Godmy, as indeed they should according to the grammarians, varying only in length, and not as a native English speaker is prone to saying them.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Godmy
Textkit Member

Post by Godmy »

Bene - forsan tē anteā male intellēxeram :)
Latin IRC chat: http://textkit.com/greek-latin-forum/vi ... =3&t=62017
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS