turba

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

turba

Post by pmda »

Orberg....XL LLPSI....

Quo tum dolore Dido afficiebatur talia cernens! Quos gemitus dabat, cum ex summa arce prospiciens litus et mare turba hominum et navium misceri videret!

turba, -ae (f) = multitudo, multitudinis (f)

turba here is an ablative of turba, -ae (f) - the text has a macron over it.

Now it's the only ablative after prospiciens. It seems to govern (if that's the right word) the two genitives 'hominum' and 'navium'.

'...looking from the high peak she saw the beach and the sea confused (mixed up) by a crowd of men and ships.'

Am I on the right track...?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: turba

Post by Qimmik »

Yes, but you need to find a better word to translate misceri. Go to Lewis and Short online:

http://perseus.uchicago.edu/Reference/L ... Short.html

Look up the 1st pers. sing. pres. indic. active form of the verb. Look for a meaning that fits here, and if you don't find an exact fit, try to think of an English word that's close enough in meaning to those you find in the dictionary.

ex summa arce -- arx means "citadel", not "peak." summa arx is the top of the citadel.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: turba

Post by pmda »

Thanks Quimmik...it's not a good word...I know..but I was tying for poetic... Whittaker gives: mix, mingle; embroil; confound; stir up... In English one might say that the beach was a confusion of men etc...

I will look at Lewis & Short.

Though in truth I'm not that concerned with translating except to confirm the meaning when seeking an explanation...