Corrigenda for JACT Greek?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Pathawi
Textkit Neophyte

Corrigenda for JACT Greek?

Post by Pathawi »

I hope this message finds you all well. I've been using the first edition of the JACT Reading Greek course pretty happily: I'm about halfway in, and I'm already beginning to find that I can make out bits of the material I'm interested in (not the Attic classics, but correspondence from the periphery of the Roman world). Since I'm now at the halfway point, and things are getting noticeably more difficult, I've decided to alternate between reading new lessons, and going back to old readings to make sure that I've retained what I've read. I went back to the first lesson, and was very rapidly struck my something that I missed the first time through:

The first reading is the story of an insurance scam, in which conmen Ἠγέστρατος and Ζηνόθεμις are attempting to sink a boat delivering cargo from Byzantium to Athens, so that they can collect on the insurance. Ζηνόθεμις is attempting to distract our hero, Δικαιόπολις and the captain from the sound of his partner in crime cutting a hole in the boat, so he keeps them on the deck pointing out the sites/sights of Athens. The captain loses his temper at being so obviously distracted from the sound he hears:

ΚΥΒΕΡΝΗΤΗΣ: ἄκουε, ὦ Ζηνόθεμι, καὶ μὴ λέγε 'ὡς καλά ἐστι τὰ ὲμπόρια.'

Shouldn't that ἐστι be ἐισι? Or am I missing something?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Corrigenda for JACT Greek?

Post by bedwere »

ἐστι is right, because neuter plural takes singular verb.

NothingComplicated
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Corrigenda for JACT Greek?

Post by NothingComplicated »

May I ask what stage you're at? I'm nowhere near half-way yet - I'm on section 6 - and am teaching myself. I've already noticed a bit of a jump from 4 to 5 but hope I'm coping OK. I don't know if you know of any others using JACT who might like to have some kind of online study group - that way we can motivate each other to persevere!