Project: Anki Flashcards for Pharr's Greek

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
WilliamThomson
Textkit Neophyte

Project: Anki Flashcards for Pharr's Greek

Post by WilliamThomson »

To whom it may concern:

I would like to create a flashcard set using Anki that would be available for anyone using Pharr's Homeric Greek. There is one part that is slow going for me due to my internet connection and ability: the image searching. If the small community here would be able to help, I do believe that everyone using Pharr's would benefit greatly. Here is what I need help finding: copyright free images that can be used to help with vocabulary, if possible, images depicting classical poems, plays, and stories (e.g. for μῆνις Charles Antoine's Fury of Achilles as one of the images). If no one's able to help, then the project will be very slow going as my energies are mostly devoted to some other languages at the moment; even so I will post each chapter as I get progress.

Another thing: If anyone has sound files of proper (whatever that may be :wink: ) reconstructed Homeric Greek, I could also incorporate those!

Regards,
-WT

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Project: Anki Flashcards for Pharr's Greek

Post by Markos »

This sounds like a worthy project, William. Get it started, post your early results, and then we will help out.

WilliamThomson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by WilliamThomson »

I've half completed chapter 1 as I'm working on setting up the IPA pronunciation for each word so that even without sound files it is clear how one should be pronouncing it. Once I've completed chapters 1/2/3 I will post up results (it should be done in 2-3 weeks). I will get what images I can, but it is unlikely that all, or most, of the cards will have images. I want to be sure that I polish it up some before I post so that its first-impression is a good one. Hopefully it will be of some use!

-WT

WilliamThomson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by WilliamThomson »

So my project has slowed down for a moment. I'm looking into this accursed pronunciation of Homeric Greek.... and building or buying a Lyre to do it. See my post in the main section for details.

WilliamThomson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by WilliamThomson »

Update: Found a public domain Google art project torrent that I'm slowly picking up. It's about 2.5 gigs, but it's also got a dl rate of about 5-50kb/s when I'm at the cafe, so it might be a while before I'm able to mine it for the proper images.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Let me know if you need help building the lyra, I've built several.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

WilliamThomson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by WilliamThomson »

I will definitely take you up on that Scribo.

As for the flashcards. I've prepared a sample deck for chapter 1 using what I could find [Listed on the ANKI shared website at https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/3096840628] . It's only got 11 words in it as I want to showcase what I'm aiming for and many of them are incomplete. Even the current sample deck is incomplete! Where I could find IPA pronunciation [Attic, not Homeric - I could not find Homeric Pronunciation for it in IPA anywhere] it is shown. Eventually I want all the cards to look like the one for "μῆνις" . At least four different images all contributing to the idea of the word. Where images wont suffice [e.g. for conjunctions or prepositions] a direct translation will be in it's place, or a few sentences describing an image using the preposition or conjunction with Greek words they should already know [the same "hint" function will be available so that if they are uncertain they can double check].

As this is chapter one and pronunciation all the cards are of one note type. Once I get to the chapters where it is necessary to know verb principal parts, irregular declensions, and so forth, I will separate them into logical categories [e.g. "Nouns," "Irregular Nouns," "Verbs," "Irregular Verbs," "Prepositions," "Conjunctions," "Adjectives," etc etc etc.] and design the cards accordingly.

So what can you do to help? These are all things that I will be doing myself if no one else helps, but as I am one man, and I don't know the IPA thoroughly enough to write it out myself, it will be very slow going without help.

The tasks are organized as such #'s represent types, and successive letters represent tasks required more effort (and how much appreciation I and other's will have for you).

1a. Find a public domain fine art image
1b. Tell me which word(s) you think the image will help to represent in Greek and English [e.g. Vasily Vereshchagin's The Apotheosis of War would represent "οὐλόμενος", death, destruction, etc]
1c. Rename and upload or send me (L.William.Thomson@gmail.com) the fine art image in the following manner: [Artist - Title - Est Year of Completion - Current Gallery - Current Gallery Location]. e.g. [Vasily Vereshchagin - The Apotheosis of War - 1871 - The State Tretyakov Gallery - Moscow]
1d. Do this for several images and put them into a zip file to send to me.

2a. Type into Excel the Greek word (all that would show up in a dictionary entry and, if it is irregular, it's irregularities) in both lower-case and upper-case. Please group word types together (e.g. do all nouns of a chapter together, then a space or new worksheet, then all verbs, etc). If you would like the template I use for putting things into ANKI let me know. I should be able to easily transfer things from your excel however.
Examples (Latin):
Column 1 (principal parts): deus, deī
Column 2 (principal parts Caps): DEUS, DEI
Column 3 (Gender): masculine
Column 4 (Nom. Sg.): ----
Column 5 (Gen. Sg.): -----
Column 6 (Dat. Sg.):-------
Column 7 (Acc. Sg.):-------
Column 8 (Abl. Sg.):------
Column 9 (Voc. Sg.):deus
Column 4 (Nom. Pl.): dī
Column 5 (Gen. Pl.): -----
Column 6 (Dat. Pl.):dīs
Column 7 (Acc. Pl.):-------
Column 8 (Abl. Pl.):dīs
Column 9 (Voc. Pl.):dī
Column 10 (Definition): God
Column 11 (Chapter): 6
3a. Write out or find IPA (in Homeric or Attic) for a word - be sure to tell me which word it's for and which pronunciation it is!

4a. Find or record sound files similar to those provided by Wheelock's Latin (http://wheelockslatin.com/chapters/intr ... ction.html)

2.3.b. Add a 12th column for IPA pronunciation. of the principle parts

1.2.3.e. Add 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th columns for images 1-4 and insert the name of the file [e.g. Vasily Vereshchagin - The Apotheosis of War - 1871 - The State Tretyakov Gallery - Moscow]

If any help is given at all, it would be greatly appreciated. The MOST help I need is, in this order, recordings of the words, IPA pronunciation for Homeric or Attic (preferably Homeric), and then the finding of open source images. Everything else is just a matter of time for me to complete.

Kind Regards
WT.