So What Else do You do?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Scribo
Global Moderator

So What Else do You do?

Post by Scribo »

And don't say doo-doo!

Joking aside...this is one of the most comfortable places on the 'net for me, we all seem so alike in our interests. I'm curious as to what other interests you guys have, if you feel like chatting. Not to the degree that you make yourselves identifiable or anything like that.

So what else are you interested in? other languages and literary traditions? do you collect rare teas? I don't know guys.

My name is Scribo and I study Homer and punch people in the face.*

*as in Boxing etc. Not like...randomly.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: So What Else do You do?

Post by Markos »

χαίρω δὴ ἐν τῷ ἐν τοῖς ὄρεσι πεζοπορεῖν.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Italian and Modern Greek. And currently preparing for a holiday on the beach with a book on propositional logic.

Oh, and I like watching tennis, although I am very picky about who I watch.
Regards,
Adelheid
http://www.perispomenon.nl

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I like to read Austrian economics, history, philosophy, Catholic theology. I do traditional liturgy and Gregorian chant. I'm not an athlete but I do some light hiking and cycling to keep in shape. I used to be a soccer fan, but I'm not interested any more.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Markos wrote:χαίρω δὴ ἐν τῷ ἐν τοῖς ὄρεσι πεζοπορεῖν.
kagw khairw opote dunaimen maxein. kai moi' aresei he pale.

He Pale = Image In case the non violent were wondering.

Hmm Greeklish looks ridiculously ugly when optatives came into play...

Looking around I kind of worry this thread is superfluous in that so many of the introductory threads are full. I messed up guys. Sorry. :(
Last edited by Scribo on Wed May 22, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Ah dear, I was really hoping for more replies ... Who can read through all the introductions? And those mostly have a focus on Greek & Latin anyway. Nice try though.
Regards,
Adelheid

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

I know right? It is interesting to see some of the things people are into though isn't it?

Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

GJCaesar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GJCaesar »

I am kind of new here, but I do loads of stuff besides Classics.

I am a huge film fan, and just trying to watch every movie out there, varying from older movies (like Citizen Kane) to newer movies (Pulp Fiction and stuff). Beside that hobby, I am really into learning Italian. Through constantly trying to improve my vocabulary, I hope I can get myself ready for my major in Venice.

I have a girlfriend for over a year now, and spending time with her is just a god's gift. She's the sweetest girl ever and really into the stuff I do. Luckily she's kind of into movies as well, so that's great. Next summer we'll go camping in Italy for 17 days (I've done this sort of holidays since as long as I can remember).

Sportswise: I like to run, and I have done two half marathons so far, and hope to get myself into shape for another one soon (maybe one in Italy!)

And what about you guys?
vincatur oportet aut vincat

Bart
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bart »

I like cycling, walking holidays (I did several long distance paths in Britain) and philosophy of mind. The most time consuming (apart from work maybe) and cutest occupation in my life at this moment is my two and half year old son.

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

GJCaesar wrote:Next summer we'll go camping in Italy for 17 days
What do you do about the mosquitos?

GJCaesar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GJCaesar »

pster wrote:
GJCaesar wrote:Next summer we'll go camping in Italy for 17 days
What do you do about the mosquitos?
Good point, but we chose a campingsite with a relatively small amount of mosquitos, so we should be okay. :)

But you have been there before? What region do you like?

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

How do you choose a campsite with relatively few mosquitos? They are the most aggressive insects I have ever seen. It takes them all of 5 seconds to find you, all of .1 seconds to bite you, and .2 seconds to flee the scene, circling back 15 seconds later. Italy's dirty little secret as far as I'm concerned and it should be in bold on page one of every guide book. If you look closely at those pictures of the Italian countryside, you'll notice there are never any people in them! One time we had a beautiful garden in a Duecento (!) villa and couldn't use it. So much for my fantasy of being a Ghibeline aristocrat for a day. We were thinking about Sicily this year, but I'll be taking two industrial strength nets. Hotels and apartments are not safe!

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

Classical Arabic music (late 19th-early 20th c., particularly in Egypt & Syria)
and PC gaming are my other interests. Don't have enough time to pursue Greek
studies these days. :x
Nate.

GJCaesar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GJCaesar »

Well, I completely agree with you about the guide-book thing. Guess it's an adapting kind of thing. Lake Ledro in North Italy lies a bit higher, just south of the mountains. Those spots are known for their relatively small amount of insects flying around and sucking the blood out of you at any opportunity they get ;).

My advice would be: try to find a campingsite that has an above 100m altitude, near mountains, and preferably not near a lake or near the sea. But this campingsite is just really awesome, and it's only for like 10 days.

Last option you could do: change blood haha. Or eat less sugar!

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

pster wrote:We were thinking about Sicily this year, but I'll be taking two industrial strength nets. Hotels and apartments are not safe!
I've been to Sicily and had no bad mosquito experiences at all. Also did a bicycle trip last year (along the Via Appia) from Rome to Brindisi and was not bitten by any. Perhaps the fact that my trip was in June may have had something to do with that. My worst mosquito attack was during a holiday on Corfu: was covered with red spots.
Regards,
Adelheid

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

We like to go in September to take advantage of lower prices and smaller crowds. I think a bike trip would be fine. The problem is when you stop moving or go to bed. I'm convinced that continuously inhabited Italy has provided ideal conditions for them to evolve to inflict maximal pain and suffering on human beings. I've seen mosquitos in many places. Usually they are slow and lumbering loners that might bite you once at night. Italy's are lightning fast, travel in packs, and are happy to bite you repeatedly.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I'm an Italian expatriate, born in the province of Ferrara, in the Po river valley, where mosquitoes are ferocious. Malaria was endemic way before my time, but thanks to DDT it was eradicated. Thalassemia is still common, since those suffering from it are more resistant to malaria.

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

Learning Ancient Greek is the main thing that I do so I am struggling for a what else.

To keep my hand in with Serbo-Croat I am reading a novel by Ivan Ivanji but as it is a historical novel on the Emperor Julian (aka the apostate) even here there is an Ancient Greek connection.
λονδον

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

Adelheid wrote:
pster wrote:We were thinking about Sicily this year, but I'll be taking two industrial strength nets. Hotels and apartments are not safe!
I've been to Sicily and had no bad mosquito experiences at all. Also did a bicycle trip last year (along the Via Appia) from Rome to Brindisi and was not bitten by any. Perhaps the fact that my trip was in June may have had something to do with that. My worst mosquito attack was during a holiday on Corfu: was covered with red spots.
I have been thinking of visiting Greece this year and mosquitoes are big reason for me to make my visit now. DDT may have been the way that malaria was eradicated but it is a health service that prevents its return and with austerity makes it questionable whether it can do the job now. So the pessimist in me is saying that it may be best to visit Greece now while it is still malaria free.
λονδον

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

That's pretty cool, one day I'll probably pick up Croatian. Gore Vidal also has a novel on Julian by the way, its not THAT bad on re-reading it recently and actually enjoyable.

Its weird, in the last day or two my girlfriend has insisted on us going to Italy in the next few months. I guess she can claim legitimate research reasons. Which sounds fun...except that it means re-activating my Italian. Which is going to suck.

I seriously suffer from mosquito bites in the summer (in Greece), I mean..seriously. There must be something about me specifically since its not a family thing. The worst has been staying with some friends on Spetses where my hand actually got swollen ridiculously. On Crete, weirdly, I was perfectly fine. Just me and the goats, chilling out. If I have to stay in Athens in the summer (where it is worse) you can get these "snake" things...Green curly things which you can burn and it keeps the mosquitoes away.

Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Funny, I graduated on an essay on Julian the Apostate. And Gore Vidals novel has been on my side table for months now, as I have to return it to its owner (whom I lent it from 18 years ago :shock: ).
Regards,
Adelheid

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

So I guess we can add an admiration/fascination with Julian II to be another connecting factor? :lol:

Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

I guess we can. It was 20 years ago since I graduated, however. I have not spared a second thought for Julian since :oops:
Regards,
Adelheid

GJCaesar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GJCaesar »

Understandable. Once I finish these letters from Seneca to Lucilius, I won't look at it for the next 5-10 years :D

Scribo - Crete has something special. My sister went there a couple of years ago and normally, she is very sensitive to insects and bites and stuff, but there: not a single swelling or bite.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Fair enough then, though I've had little to no formal exposure to him so all my involvement has been fanboyism. He's definitely my favourite figure from late antiquity, along with Justinian II.

I'm also reading Seneca's letters as of a few days ago, what a coincidence! I only get to spare about 10-15 mins a day for him so I've only read 6 or 7. The last one I happened to read was on...something to do with friendship. I like them! I like the constant remarks about Epicurius and his followers too. I laugh until I realise I'm agreeing with a stoic, and accidentally learning philosophy, which I detest. But yes, Seneca is great so far, I'm enjoying his letters more than I did Cicero's.

Crete IS special in that regard, I miss it. I dislike how whenever you order a souvlaki they give you yoghurt and paprika though. Its like :shock: :evil:

Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

GJCaesar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GJCaesar »

Well, I am reading 92 as we speak, which is one of his longer ones.. About how virtue cannot be 'annoyed' by influences from outside, like sickness blablabla. I guess that since I have to read them for an exam, it takes some of the fun away. But Latinwise, they are not too difficult and definitely easier than Cicero's. And I hate philosophy haha. The only course in my study which I actually followed with a feeling of utter boringdom.

The ''Greek'' restaurants in other countries - which claim they have an authentic kitchen - kinda give us the wrong idea about souvlaki and other meals. Same story with tzatziki. I have to admit: I like it more in the fake restaurants than in the actual Greek restaurants :D

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

GJCaesar wrote:Well, I am reading 92 as we speak, which is one of his longer ones.. About how virtue cannot be 'annoyed' by influences from outside, like sickness blablabla. I guess that since I have to read them for an exam, it takes some of the fun away. But Latinwise, they are not too difficult and definitely easier than Cicero's. And I hate philosophy haha. The only course in my study which I actually followed with a feeling of utter boringdom.

The ''Greek'' restaurants in other countries - which claim they have an authentic kitchen - kinda give us the wrong idea about souvlaki and other meals. Same story with tzatziki. I have to admit: I like it more in the fake restaurants than in the actual Greek restaurants :D
Do you suffer from the same problem as me, by chance, with exams? E.g you sort of...studiously procrastinate? So a few years ago when studying Homer I was reading 21-24 of the Odyssey and my girlfriend was interested (she's very much an Odyssey person, myself totally Iliad) and asked what bits of the Odyssey were set for my examination. It was 1-13 sans 4. For some reason the looming exam made that part of the poem seem almost completely unappetising to me,

I haven't got that far with Seneca. I'm trying to find one which justified higher education and study...its around the 80's I believe. I can't remember....so I'll keep reading consecutively until I find it. There are unfortunate side effects though. My facial hair is vast approaching a beard and I'm often lost contemplating the essence of virtue. Help me. :(

Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

GJCaesar wrote:Well, I am reading 92 as we speak, which is one of his longer ones.. About how virtue cannot be 'annoyed' by influences from outside, like sickness blablabla. I guess that since I have to read them for an exam, it takes some of the fun away. But Latinwise, they are not too difficult and definitely easier than Cicero's. And I hate philosophy haha. The only course in my study which I actually followed with a feeling of utter boringdom.

Do you suffer from the same problem as me, by chance, with exams? E.g you sort of...studiously procrastinate? So a few years ago when studying Homer I was reading 21-24 of the Odyssey and my girlfriend was interested (she's very much an Odyssey person, myself totally Iliad) and asked what bits of the Odyssey were set for my examination. It was 1-13 sans 4. For some reason the looming exam made that part of the poem seem almost completely unappetising to me,

I haven't got that far with Seneca. I'm trying to find one which justified higher education and study...its around the 80's I believe. I can't remember....so I'll keep reading consecutively until I find it. There are unfortunate side effects though. My facial hair is vast approaching a beard and I'm often lost contemplating the essence of virtue. Help me. :(

Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

GJCaesar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GJCaesar »

The one you're looking for may be letter 88. You should take a look, but I'm not sure though.

Well, I guess we do suffer from the same disease. I pleasently read letters, books, satires, comedies and so forth, as long as they are something that I WANT to read. It changes from time to time though. We had to read -and understand every single letter and accent- of Iliad book 22, and it does give some personal satisfaction knowing that you understand it completely. But when a student of mine, whom I tutor, had to read a part of this book, I did not enjoy it at all, even though my love for the poet knows no boundaries.

Fortunately, there are some texts that truly do live through the ages. I can read Pericles' funeral oration a hundred times, but there would still remain questions unanswered. This I truly like.

About your beard, I do have the feeling that when I read this stuff, mine does grow faster too. But luckily I'm still young and it doesn't turn white (yet). Sleepless nights are more my enemy, moving Greek letters and complete sentences rush through my mind :cry:

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

Scribo wrote:That's pretty cool, one day I'll probably pick up Croatian. Gore Vidal also has a novel on Julian by the way, its not THAT bad on re-reading it recently and actually enjoyable.
Ivan Ivanji's books are now classified as Serbian rather than Croatian (but you have to make a real effort to notice the difference). I have read his novel on Constantine and what I like about him is that he never distorts history for sake of the plot. If you can say that about Gore Vidal then I am may try him.
λονδον

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Yep can't wait to grow old so I can have a grey/white beard, so long as I can keep my body and reflexes etc. I predict that as my strength and tendency to punch people wanes I'll move on from Homer and sort of...slide into philosophy and contemplative prose works. I do so hope not, but...

I just remembered the comment about Greek restaurants. Whilst I don't fully agree with it, you definitely need to check out <<η πίττα του παππού>>. I...it sounds bad coming from someone who can cook well and enjoys food but...it literally is the best place ever. http://www.pittapappou.gr/ I love it so much, I've listed it amongst my hobbies. You want the Πίττα Ανάμικτο. Its different from traditional souvlaki but a million times better than the Western pseudo-stuff. Don't make the mistake of ordering two like regular ones...they're huge. I can't believe its a chain. I mean wow.

Also, YES, letter 88!
daivid wrote:
Scribo wrote:That's pretty cool, one day I'll probably pick up Croatian. Gore Vidal also has a novel on Julian by the way, its not THAT bad on re-reading it recently and actually enjoyable.
Ivan Ivanji's books are now classified as Serbian rather than Croatian (but you have to make a real effort to notice the difference). I have read his novel on Constantine and what I like about him is that he never distorts history for sake of the plot. If you can say that about Gore Vidal then I am may try him.
I read Vidal's other historical novel, Creation, and it was a flop in every sense of the word. Terrible. So its a one hit wonder in that regard. Ah, yes, the politics of language....could I ask why you picked up the language in the first place? If that's not inopportune. I know you've spent time there, its just a rare language.

Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

Scribo wrote: Ivan Ivanji's books are now classified as Serbian rather than Croatian (but you have to make a real effort to notice the difference). I have read his novel on Constantine and what I like about him is that he never distorts history for sake of the plot. If you can say that about Gore Vidal then I am may try him.
I read Vidal's other historical novel, Creation, and it was a flop in every sense of the word. Terrible. So its a one hit wonder in that regard. Ah, yes, the politics of language....could I ask why you picked up the language in the first place? If that's not inopportune. I know you've spent time there, its just a rare language.[/quote]

I spent five years in Zagreb. I wanted to get some insight into why Yugoslavia broke up so bloodily. Having lived in Croatia means that I am much more aware of Croatian extremism than Serbian even though I continue to believe that it was Serbian extremism that was most to blame.

Just in the last week you are probably aware that two islamists murdered an off duty soldier in London. This produced attacks by right wing nutters against mosques - just the sort of thing create more islamists. That dynamic where the extremists of both sides are in a sense allies is very similar to what happened in Yugoslavia but unlike Yugoslavia neither bunch of extremists in Britain is going to gain the kind of sponsor at the top that Serbian extremists gained in Milossevich.

What is the difference between Gore's Creation and Gore's Julian?
λονδον

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

"where the extremists of both sides are in a sense allies"

Extremely well put and not something I'd thought of, thanks. Yes the current situation is frightening...I've no idea where its going to take us and I think we all know that the worst has yet to come. Sometimes I think of leaving but everywhere seems to be worsening.

EDIT: I wish I had the courage to do something like that. Although I was there in Greece when the first riots started. When that kid was shot, and saw all that. Its sad. I've seen Greece turn from the place I was most at home to...well...its sad.

Julian vs Creation: The latter ought to have been excellent due to the premise alone: A grandson of Zoroaster* travels from Greece to Persia to India to China and relates his journeys to his...grand nephew I believe. So much potential. Two things ruin it. The abominable grasp of history. Greece is simply not at all painted. The depiction of Persia and India is absolutely astoundingly terrible. Not only is it historically stupid to the point where Wikipedia would be a colossal step up. Its incredibly boring. Very Hitlerian incidentally with your blond Persians and white Indians. China is somewhat more interesting but slow moving and any historical realism has been dashed by American paranoia of China.

The central theme, Creation, isn't something that shines through very well until just about the end. Prepare to be frustrated by bad writing.

Now, Julian, on the other hand is different. Obviously liberties are taken with history, that is the nature of novel writing, but its nowhere near as bad. The characters are thoroughly likeable...the letter format works exceptionally well and the characters just jump out at you. Its just a better book.

Incidentally there are two really under-rated novels on a similarish period to Creation which are infinitely better. One is about the comedic poet Eupolis by Tom Holt called "The Walled Orchard" and Nicholas Guild's "The Assyrian". Very well written, the first will make you laugh.

* Adopting the Greek dating rather than the traditional linguistic one which puts him several several centuries prior to the Persian wars.

Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

To return to the topic: right now I'm checking scores from Roland Garros, Lleyton Hewitt losing in 5 sets to Gilles Simon (bummer!), Federer through in 3 sets, and gathering courage to cook a spaghetti carbonara (going to be yummy although I'm leaving out the pecorino).
Regards,
Adelheid

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

And went for a bike ride, since the rain finally stopped. Still needed gloves, extremely cold for this time of year. Need the bike rides, because what else do I do: trying to get fit, mean and lean :D
Last edited by Adelheid on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Adelheid

GJCaesar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GJCaesar »

I just remembered the comment about Greek restaurants. Whilst I don't fully agree with it, you definitely need to check out <<η πίττα του παππού>>. I...it sounds bad coming from someone who can cook well and enjoys food but...it literally is the best place ever. http://www.pittapappou.gr/ I love it so much, I've listed it amongst my hobbies. You want the Πίττα Ανάμικτο. Its different from traditional souvlaki but a million times better than the Western pseudo-stuff. Don't make the mistake of ordering two like regular ones...they're huge. I can't believe its a chain. I mean wow.

Also, YES, letter 88!
Well from the pictures alone I must say: it does look quite nice. I like this kind of food: fast, good taste, nice meat, and probably the best for a poor student: not too expensive :wink:

Next week is the final week of my academic year, so I will 'use' this forum as a port of distress quite often ghehe :oops:

After this week, I am going to work hard on my Italian vocabulary. Being a student of classics does have its advantages: grammar is never ever a problem, and in this case, vocabulary isn't really one either, since it's just an exact copy of Latin :)

Bart
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bart »

Mmm, Greek food. If you want to make some yourself, I recommend the wonderful "The Glorious Foods of Greece: Traditional Recipes from the Islands, Cities, and Villages" by Diane Kochilas, a Greek expat living in the USA. It contains a wide variety of recipes equally suitable for the accomplished home cook as for the culinary challenged.

Talmid
Textkit Member

Post by Talmid »

I love to run, which gives me a lot of good time to think and conjugate verbs. I'll go to Starbucks and punish my kids severely if they refuse to come with me (this is a joke--they love going just as much as I do). Listen to Handel organ concertos and Miles Davis. Read through the Great Books series (I'm almost done with Don Quixote -- funny as can be! What a goofball he was! I'm in the Army, and a few weeks ago I went on a combat foot patrol in Afghanistan, and that was a lot of fun too. I love tea a lot. Finally, I love homeschooling my kids. My favorite memories are of them sitting in my lap as we look at flashcards and read books together.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

So I'm now bearded. Well its not much of a beard, the hairs are bushy and curly and my girlfriend complains I look too much like a Greek vase figure and hates it but still. I've been reading so much philosophy lately I thought it would fit, so I let it. I also sent her Julian's Misopogon.

I feel 8.6% wiser.

Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Osterdeich »

I am a writer of fiction who often gets lost in the confluence of German, French and English. I am not sure if I speak all or any of these languages anymore. I admire cats for their single-minded devotion to solitude and dogs for their loyalty to their masters. I think any food with cranberries is a gift from God.

Sometimes I am in the US, other times in Niedersachsen, the most wonderful place on earth, where this time of year it rains for hours as hard as it can and then the Sun comes out for just an hour or two. When I am there in May or June the River Weser is muddy and moves slowly around the bend where I sit on a blanket during the brief breaks in the rain, but I wouldn't want to lay beside any other river.

When I watch movies, I watch Isabelle Huppert with the sound off because her body movements and expressions speak more loudly that whatever she says. On occasion I've considered humbly writing the venerable Swiss actress, Annemarie Düringer, doyenne of the Wien Theater, and telling her how desperately I've loved her and her films from the Fifties to the present day, but I sit in uncomfortable silence and the words never come.

I think Claude Chabrol was one of the funniest men to ever have lived, and Rainer Werner Fassbinder was one of the most deranged. I can't stop watching either of their films.

I once saw a guy get hit by a car, spin like a pinwheel, land on his leg the wrong way and laugh as he was being stretchered off. I shook for hours after that. I was never more scared on the primal level than when Hurricane Sandy passed through where I was in the States this last autumn. It made me feel very small and insignificant, which is what we are after all.