Help translating "For them I live"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
IvoryRose
Textkit Neophyte

Help translating "For them I live"

Post by IvoryRose »

Hi there,

I am looking for a translation of "for them i live" or a variation of the phrase. I have asked this question on another Latin forum and have had the following suggestions;

* illorum causa vivo
* Illis vivo
* Pro eis vivo
* Pro Illis vivo

I was wondering if anyooneone here would be able to advise me further on this? The reason for the translation is that I want to get a tattoo in Latin. My grandfather loved Latin but unfortunately is no longer with us, this is the reason I chose Latin, not just because it is "fashionable" to use a foreign language. I would like the tattoo to say;

"Unbreakable and Tender
For them I live"

I want it in two lines, as above and the reference is myself as a mother (Unbreakable and tender which is, I believe "infragilis et tenera") and I live for my 3 daughters. Opinions as to how this translates into Latin would also be fabulous as I am toying with just having "infragilis et tenera".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ivory

DWBrumbley
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Help translating "For them I live"

Post by DWBrumbley »

One variant you may also consider is eis quos amo vivo. "For those whom I love, I live." If you wanted to stick with just the phrase you have, it could even be left as "Eis vivo," but in the context of family and for a tattoo of some substance, the longer phrase might work better.