Exercise 145, Part II, #3

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
jsc01
Textkit Neophyte

Exercise 145, Part II, #3

Post by jsc01 »

I was wondering if someone can help me on this one.

English: Diana will destroy those hostile to Latona.

Key's translation: Diana inimicos Latonae delebit.

I don't understand this one too well at all. I guess my translation would be this: Diana iis inimici Latonae delebit.

Some basic questions, what is the object in this sentence? Is it not "those"? If so, why is it dropped in the Latin? In the Key's translation, what object does the adjective inimicos describe? My thought is that it should be "those", which is plural and short for "those people". Hense my masculine plural use of inimucus. Maybe my grammatical understanding of the sentence is a little weak here.

Can anyone help!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

You're translation would work, but you would have to fix it up a little to Diana eos inimicos Latonae delebit. It's similar to how the participle by itself alone could hold the meaning "those (who)..." or "the ones (who)...", not that there is a distinction in Latin. Take for example Diana pugnantes delebit, "Diana will destroy the ones/those fighting"; it just doesn't make sense in English unless you supply a pronoun.
Last edited by benissimus on Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

jsc01
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jsc01 »

So Diana eos inimicos Latonae delebit will work. Ok, then would this be correct diagraming of that sentence?

Diana - noun (subject)
eos - demonstrative pronuoun (object, accusative masculine plural)
inimicos - adjective (used with the dative and denotes the object, accusative masculine plural ending)
Latonae - noun (dative form as the indirect object)
delebit - verb (3rd person, singular, future tense)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

That looks right
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae