Review on A Reading Course in Homeric Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Paco
Textkit Neophyte

Review on A Reading Course in Homeric Greek

Post by Paco »

Hi. I am new to this forum, and am collecting Greek courses for future studies. I would like some advice on the above course.

My professor recommended the older version of the course, i.e., the original by Schoder and Horrigan. He did not mention the revised version by Lesile Edward, so I am not sure if he was aware of it. As the publisher stated on their website that the two courses may be quite different, I would like to know what are the major differences, and if the revised version has better or worse quality.

Thank you.

Bart
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Review on A Reading Course in Homeric Greek

Post by Bart »

Judging from the information on amazon (especially the reviews) the revised book I of this course seems to be a slightly improved reprint of the original (better layout, more syntactical explanations etc). The revised edition of book II however is an abbreviated one. The original version has 234 pages, the revised only 110. Apparently the selections from the Odyssey are much reduced in the newer version.
So maybe combining book I of the new and book II of the old edition is the way to go; that at least is what I am thinking about.