Adjective endings

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
mariek
Global Moderator

Adjective endings

Post by mariek »

Why are there three endings for adjectives in meus glossiarium latinus?<br /><br />I can look up the word "dictionary" on the English side and get "glossiarium". But I can't find "glossiarium" on the Latin side of the dictionary. Why is this? <br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Adjective endings

Post by bingley »

To give you a clue for the endings for the masculine, femine, and neuter endings. Adjectives have to have the same gender and case as the noun they're describing. <br /><br />So if we take the adjective bonus -a -um, for example, we have:<br /><br />ancilla bona == good maid<br /><br />equus bonus == good horse<br /><br />bellum bonum == good war<br /><br />Note that it has to agree in gender, not in the ending. So:<br /><br />agricola bonus == good farmer.<br /><br />Later on, things get more complicated. If all adjectives had the same predictable set of endings you wouldn't need this information in the dictionary, but unfortunately they don't.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

So that would be "meum glossiarium Latinum"... Bingley beat me to the meat of the the post :-\
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

tacebo

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />The first set of adjectives we covered were all -a adjectives, such as bona. We also covered how the adj agrees with the noun. And we even had pilum bonum as an example. I thought that "bonum" just morphed from the same "bona" we learned earlier.<br /><br />Then I was perplexed by your "urbem pulcherimam" earlier. We've learned pulchra so I thought that pulcherimam somehow morphed from that, but I couldn't figure it out. Not surprising since we haven't really gotten into it yet.<br /><br />I looked in the dictionary and found "pulcher, -chra, -chrum". OK, it's an adjective and I get the meaning of it. But I couldn't figure out your -imam ending. And the ending didn't match the one for "urbum". <br /><br />Then I was working through an exercise in BLD on my way home. One of the phrases was "bone popule". Huh? I know the second word comes from "populus", so it's one of the -us noun cases. Aha! It's VOC! OK, now to figure out "bone". Well, I knew about bona. I looked in the dictionary and found "bonus, bona, bonus". Then I remembered the example in the book about "pilum bonum", from pilus which is neuter. Aha! *Light Bulb* lights up. "Bone" is the VOC of "bonus". The three adjectives are for each of the three forms : masculine, feminine, and neuter! I was so pleased at this revelation. ;D<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=0#1535 date=1058495944]<br />So that would be "meum glossiarium Latinum"[/quote]<br /><br />Since I just got my hands on a dictionary, I know enough to be dangerous. ;D I just looked up "my" and found meus, mea, and meum. Cool, I get why there are three listed ! :)<br /><br />So...<br /><br />meum glossiarium Latinum = my Latin dictionary<br /><br />meus caseus Gallicus = my French cheese<br /><br />mea sella trita = my old chair<br /><br />meus liber dilectus = my favorite book<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

You got the basic meaning of pulcherrimam. It's actually a superlative (the most beautiful). Another thing to look forward to ;D.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

watch out, Marie's on fire! 8)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

agreed, mariek be disturbing me! especially with that freak of a picture. is it just me or is that petrifyingly evil??

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=0#1552 date=1058525412]<br />agreed, mariek be disturbing me! especially with that freak of a picture. is it just me or is that petrifyingly evil??<br />[/quote]<br /><br />It's just you.<br /><br />:)
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=0#1549 date=1058521184]<br />watch out, Marie's on fire! 8)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />She's gonna have to be careful that dictionary doesn't get caught in the flames! Way fun to watch someone else learning..... ;D <br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=William Annis link=board=3;threadid=267;start=0#1558 date=1058537834]<br /><br />It's just you.<br /><br />:)<br />[/quote]<br /><br /> :'(

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=bingley link=board=3;threadid=267;start=0#1546 date=1058518745]<br />It's actually a superlative (the most beautiful). Another thing to look forward to ;D.[/quote]<br /><br />Oh boy! We get to manipulate adjectives further, as if having three different endings for each adjectives wasn't enough. I can't wait. I may bitch and moan about it, but I love a challenge. 8)<br /><br />I wonder when BLD starts talking about the superlative..<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=0#1552 date=1058525412]<br />agreed, mariek be disturbing me! especially with that freak of a picture. is it just me or is that petrifyingly evil??[/quote]<br /><br />Hey! What's wrong with mea pictura ?? It must only be you. If you're wondering, it's a picture of a character on a Japanese animated series. I had a previous one which I liked much better, but the link "expired" (for lack of better word; the image just stopped appearing one day). So I had to choose another one. And it's quite a challenge to find a pic that isn't overly large.<br /><br />Maybe I should find a different image, one that truly is evil looking... so much that per somnium exterrebis (you'll have nightmares) ! ;D<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Milito link=board=3;threadid=267;start=0#1561 date=1058538716]<br />Way fun to watch someone else learning..... ;D [/quote]<br /><br />Brings back good memories, eh? :) I picked up the Bantam New College Lat-Eng Dictionary because it's a good portable size. I'm carrying it with me everywhere I go. Isn't that insane? I carry a bigger bag on weekdays, but a small purse on weekends. I think I need a bigger purse! I even put a bookcover on it; I was surprised to find out I remembered how to make one out of a plain brown paper bag. It's been years since I last did that.<br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Only animated stuff that I watch non liberis est ;D

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=15#1587 date=1058563587]<br />Only animated stuff that I watch non liberis est ;D<br />[/quote]<br />Ah... like the new Stan Lee invention?<br /><br />How do you say "animation" (in the cartoon sense) in Latin? animatio isn't quite the word for this.<br /><br /><animation> liberis intueor = I watch animation for children ???<br /><br />Well, I've found a new image just for you. :)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I'm fairly sure the Romans had no animations, but flipbooks perhaps. We would probably have to invent a word, or just call them (moving/living) drawings or something. If anyone has a source for Neo Latin, they may have stuck a term to it as well... but I know of no such resource.<br /><br />Picturae animantes? or for those who haven't reached 3rd declension adjectives... picturae vivae. Anybody else have an idea?

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Moving pictures: picturae moventes? or imagines moventes?<br /><br />Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

mariek your picture freaks me out! And I was not permitted to have a picture of a hot piece of 'praeda' !! ;D

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=15#1605 date=1058583757]Picturae animantes? or for those who haven't reached 3rd declension adjectives... picturae vivae.[/quote]<br /><br />I guess we have to combine "simple" words to describe modern concepts.<br /><br />I haven't gotten to adjective declensions yet but wanted to find out how you arrived at "animantes". I looked in my dictionary and found an entry for "animans, -antis". Of course it helped that you mentioned it was a 3rd declension adjective. :) So I looked under that section of the dictionary and discovered that "animans" is similar to potens. Picturae is a feminine noun, and plural. Looking at the NOM PL declension of potens, I think this is how you arrived at "animantes". Is that how it's done? I'm not sure what the significances of "animantis" is.<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=3;threadid=267;start=15#1613 date=1058616525]<br />Moving pictures: picturae moventes? or imagines moventes?[/quote]<br /><br />Now I think this can describe other things like television (which is basically a box with moving pictures) and movies. So I guess it would be difficult to distinguish between different types of moving pictures.<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=15#1614 date=1058616569]<br />mariek your picture freaks me out! And I was not permitted to have a picture of a hot piece of 'praeda' !! ;D [/quote]<br /> ??? I don't get what you're trying to say. "Praeda" is booty, spoils, plunder, prey ?<br /><br />Oh ! Nevermind... I get it... ;D<br /><br />

jagorev
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jagorev »

Nothing for animation, but the following from the Glossarium Philosophicum http://wredmond.home.texas.net/glossarium.html<br /><br />cartoon : imaguncula, iepida imago <br /><br />comics : fabulae nubeculatae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=267;start=15#1626 date=1058640426]<br /> ??? I don't get what you're trying to say. "Praeda" is booty, spoils, plunder, prey ?<br /><br />Oh ! Nevermind... I get it... ;D<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />I'm sure we can use this very same word to describe a modern concept! what's that word to describe a word with two same meanings? damn always forget it...<br /><br />ser&#275;na williams copiam praedae habet ;D

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

pfff...bang goes trying to put a macron in this forum! <br /><br />appears when typing it but in for:o is another thing!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=jagorev link=board=3;threadid=267;start=15#1627 date=1058645891]<br />Nothing for animation, but the following from the Glossarium Philosophicum http://wredmond.home.texas.net/glossarium.html<br /><br />cartoon : imaguncula, iepida imago <br /><br />comics : fabulae nubeculatae <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Thanks for the link to Glossarium Philosophicum, that is a wicked cool link. 8)<br /><br />I was just thinking about what the word might be for "coffee". I thought it might not be in the dictionary because they didn't drink coffee way back then, or did they ? But I was surprised to find the Latin word for "coffee" in my dictionary :<br /> coffeum, -i<br />and also an entry for "a cup of coffee" :<br /> pocillum -i caffei<br /><br />I also found an entry for "coffee, cup of coffee, cafe" on Glossarium Philosophicum with more Latin words :<br /> caffea; pocillum caffeae; caffeum; potus us arabicus; potiuncula arabica, arabum<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Episcopus wrote:<br />what's that word to describe a word with two same meanings? damn always forget it...
<br /><br />You know, that makes no sense to me. Or did you mean a word that has two different meanings? Or did you mean two different words which have the same meaning?<br />
<br />ser&#275;na williams copiam praedae habet ;D
<br /><br />I see you're a <tennis>-is fautor (fan of tennis?). Are you watching World Team Tennis which is in televisio right this moment?<br /><br />What were you trying to do with the &#275; in Serena's name?<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Anybody know what iepida means? I don't find it in any of my dictionaries. Imaguncula is a good word; it means "little image" (diminutive of imago, which is quite fitting for a cartoon.<br /><br />Marie- on the right track (again) with the adjectives! ;)

jagorev
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jagorev »

My eyesight's going.<br /><br />It's lepida, with an l, not an i<br /><br />which means delightful or agreeable or something

jagorev
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jagorev »

There are tons of modern words defined on the Glossarium site which are neo-Latin fabrications, wholly unknown to the Romans.<br /><br />motorcyle: autobirota

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Interesting site, thanks for that link. I try to stay away from Neo Latin, but it's pretty necessary for conversation.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

mariek wrote:<br />
Episcopus wrote:<br />what's that word to describe a word with two same meanings? damn always forget it...
<br /><br />You know, that makes no sense to me. Or did you mean a word that has two different meanings? Or did you mean two different words which have the same meaning?<br />
<br />ser&#275;na williams copiam praedae habet ;D
<br /><br />I see you're a <tennis>-is fautor (fan of tennis?). Are you watching World Team Tennis which is in televisio right this moment?<br /><br />What were you trying to do with the &#275; in Serena's name?<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br />Only receive I wimbeldon :(<br /><br />As in my post below, I tried to insert a macron for the long 'e' in Serèna - however this forum handles not macrons. :-\

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=30#1651 date=1058688035]I try to stay away from Neo Latin, but it's pretty necessary for conversation.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Is it bad to use Neo Latin? Stigma? Not considered real Latin? Not everyone would understand it?<br /><br />How would you go about describing modern things?<br /><br />For example, if I wanted to say I drank a soda, what word(s) would I use to say "soda"? I'm pretty sure the word "soda" didn't exist. <br /><br />The Chinese have "simple" ways of describing things, by putting together words that describe the item. For example, the Chinese word for "soda" is actually two words combined : air + water. That describes what soda is, the "air" part of the word describes the carbonation and the "water" part describes it as a liquid.<br /><br />Perhaps we can do the same with Latin words to describe modern things. So for soda, it might translate literally as : drink with air and water.<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Episcopus wrote:Only receive I wimbeldon :(
<br /><br />We have a couple of Sports channels in televisio <rudens> (on cable tv ... I couldn't figure out how to decline the noun "rudens"). So we received Wimbledon live over here, starting at 6AM ! Non consuxi (Nope, I didn't get up) to watch it. Habeo Tivo and recorded it for later viewing.<br />
<br />As in my post below, I tried to insert a macron for the long 'e' in Serèna - however this forum handles not macrons.
<br /><br />Hmmm... I was thinking. The book uses the long horizontal line over the vowel to denote a long vowel sound. I don't know how to make a horizontal line over the vowel. What if we used the double dots over the vowels instead? Would that show up on the forum?<br /><br />Use ä for long a.<br />Use ë for long e.<br />Use ï for long i.<br />Use ö for long o.<br />Use ü for long u.<br /><br />Whadya think? <br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

mariek, about that meanings thing, you were right; but what is it?<br /><br />tivum habèbam ;D<br /><br />I'd say è for long e <br />And personally I use (what is this called again?) <br /><br />liberõs eõrum necãbam <br /><br />For i - I know not!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

that umlaut over the i looks nice, like a proper line...<br /><br />in my comp. I have a macron font. That was on the è in serèna

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=267;start=30#1672 date=1058720967]<br />[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=30#1651 date=1058688035]I try to stay away from Neo Latin, but it's pretty necessary for conversation.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Is it bad to use Neo Latin? Stigma? Not considered real Latin? Not everyone would understand it?<br /><br />How would you go about describing modern things?<br /><br /><br />For example, if I wanted to say I drank a soda, what word(s) would I use to say "soda"? I'm pretty sure the word "soda" didn't exist. <br /><br />The Chinese have "simple" ways of describing things, by putting together words that describe the item. For example, the Chinese word for "soda" is actually two words combined : air + water. That describes what soda is, the "air" part of the word describes the carbonation and the "water" part describes it as a liquid.<br /><br />Perhaps we can do the same with Latin words to describe modern things. So for soda, it might translate literally as : drink with air and water.<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yes, I avoid Neo Latin because it isn't "real" Latin. It's the modernization of a classical concept, which I am not particularly fond of.<br /><br />Nice analogy to the Chinese method of describing new words, because Latin can do that as well. In the example Jagorev gave of autobirota we can see the individual pieces:<br />auto- Greek prefix meaning self<br />bi- double<br />rota- wheel<br />Self (moving)+double wheel= motorcycle!<br /><br />I have no clue what the Romans called soda, if it even existed, but Italian and (I think) Spanish call soda "refresco"... the Latin equivalent is unknown to me. If we're talking about soda, though, then that is probably going to be "conversational Latin" and I wouldn't hesitate to use whatever Neo Latin I knew ;)<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Episcopus wrote:<br />mariek, about that meanings thing, you were right; but what is it?<br />tivum habèbam ;D
<br /><br />Lemme think about it, the word isn't coming to mind if there exists one.<br /><br />habëbam = I had<br />tivum = ??? <br />
I'd say è for long e <br />And personally I use (what is this called again?)
<br /><br />Oh that's an accent grave : è, à.<br />
liberõs eõrum necãbam
<br /><br />What did you say here? I killed those children. ???<br /><br />liberös = children<br />eörum = those ???<br />necäbam = I killed<br /><br />I haven't learned "eörum" yet. And I haven't really learned verbs yet.<br /><br />I see you like to use the tilde (the squiggly line)! I could find the ALT code to create "ã" and "õ", but not for the tilde over the "e", "i", or "u". Do you know how to make those?<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=30#1675 date=1058724071]<br />that umlaut over the i looks nice, like a proper line...[/quote]<br /><br />Yes it does. Plus I've figured out the ALT codes to create them.<br /><br />I can see the vowels with horizontal macron lines in Character Map but I can't figure out how to create them. It says "U + 0101" for small letter "a" with the line over it. What does that mean?<br />