A short latin text

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

A short latin text

Post by Perseus »

I highly appreciate if someone translate it for me. This is urgent for me and I am grateful for your translation please please please.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?eojqb77fygr05bc

Thanks,

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: A short latin text

Post by adrianus »

The first thing always to do here is to post your attempted translation for correction.
Semper primo hîc est conatum tuum mitti ut id corrigatur.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Perseus »

I know but this time this is urgent for me if someone helps me i am grateful.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

It's too weird! I'll translate it if you tell us where you found this bizarre piece of neo-Latin.

Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Perseus »

I only know this is translated from a Syriac text. Unfortunately i don't know anything more!

Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Perseus »

What do you mean by weired and bizarre? Do you mean it contains grammatical and lexical errors? Please advice more. I appreciate your translation.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

Here's the translation. See for yourself if this isn't pretty bizarre:

That seductive speech of yours struck me as extremely unpleasant and annoying, since you are contriving to defraud me and to forcibly eject me from the rank and distinction I’ve held until now and throw me into the disgrace of this age, than which nothing is more unstable, nothing more decadent. And if you stake your reputation on that, and display that, as if everything were permissible to you, if you alone obtain that, and take advantage of it willingly, don’t you understand that there will come a time when it will escape you like a sleeper’s dream and will dissipate like pre-dawn dew? [It's a little hard to see what he's driving at here without more context.] For my part, I’m an old man, more than 80 years old, and throughout my whole life, in a uniform and constant course, I have served God with maximum devotion, and now I beg the higher powers again and again to shield me from such a great evil, that I should deviate from this practice of piety and betray the faith I’ve given to God, and, putting him in second place, worship the sun, something he created, and put it ahead of him.

Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Perseus »

Many thanks. I highly appreciate it.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Perseus »

Dear Qimmik
I highly appreciate if you translate it for me. This is a 18th century translatiob of a syriac text.
http://www.rodfile.com/10o61wrji71z
Thanks in advance