How much vocabulary does one need?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
solitario
Textkit Neophyte

How much vocabulary does one need?

Post by solitario »

SALVETE OMNES.

What do you think is a sufficient number of words in order to understand Latin?
I've been making flash cards for a week, with the nominative on one side and the declensions on the other. I've memorized 70 so far.

VALETE BENE.

Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Post by Ulpianus »

There's some discussion in this thread, including a link I posted to an interesting list of the "most important" words. The bottom line seems to be: about 1500 words or so. Of course, you can start reading Latin much sooner. Each author tends to have his favourite vocabulary.

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

1500? That's less than what I would have guessed -and I'm glad!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Ulpianus is right, but do not have too high expectations... the occasional (or frequent) glance at the dictionary should be expected far into your reading experiences. Just about any beginner's books will supply you with a good foundation on the most common words and then you will assimilate more from reading or studying. Just memorizing words out of context is not always the best idea. It is generally agreed upon to be more efficient to use those words right after you learn them, or else memorize them by reading in a context.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Saiph
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Saiph »

I've been making flash cards for a week, with the nominative on one side and the declensions on the other. I've memorized 70 so far.
You wouldn't happen to have that in electronic format would you . . . . ?

I would buy something like that .

solitario
Textkit Neophyte

Post by solitario »

Saiph wrote:You wouldn't happen to have that in electronic format would you . . . . ?
Alas, no. But I was thinking of making one after the last Latin program I made. I really should learn the language before trying to program the grammar. :wink:
Thanks folks.