Roma Aeterna lesson 42

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Roma Aeterna lesson 42

Post by Perseus »

Is my answer to the following question of lesson 42 of Roma Aeterna book correct?
I just need to know if my answer is grammaticaly right?

pensum16.
11. Qui tunc usus fuit scutorum?
Scuto nepos latus fuit.

whsiv
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Roma Aeterna lesson 42

Post by whsiv »

Salve Perseus,

It looks like the question, qui tunc usus fuit scutorum?, is asking: "What was the use of the shields at that time?" Maybe this will help you to get to a correct answer.

Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Perseus »

Yes I understoo what it is asking and I am answering "it was used to carry the grandson".
Is my answer in latin right?
Scuto nepos latus fuit.

whsiv
Textkit Neophyte

Post by whsiv »

I have found with the exercises in Lingua Latina (and a lot of other textbook composition exercises) that it is frequently possible to recycle a great deal of the vocabulary/grammar of the question and use that in your answer. So, a good answer to "What was the use of the shields?" might start with "The use of the shields was..."

It looks like you are looking for an answer that will state "The use of the shields was to carry the grandson."

You can recycle the phrase "The use of the shields was..." from the question, and you're left to supply "to carry the grandson." My suggestion is that you render this phrase with the accusative of nepos, nepotis, m. (because it is the what is being carried) and the infinitive of whatever verb you would like to use to translate "to carry" (perhaps portāre, ferre).

Perseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Perseus »

Sorry for my bad english. Actually i wanted to say 'the grandson was carried by the shield'. Trying to say this is my sentence correct? Scuto nepos latus fuit.