Latin Grammar, by Dirk Panhuis

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
whsiv
Textkit Neophyte

Latin Grammar, by Dirk Panhuis

Post by whsiv »

Does anybody use or is anybody familiar with Dirk Panhuis' Latin Grammar. I myself have been a devoted fan of Allen & Greenough since my undergraduate days, but, after a quick look through, I think that Panhuis has something special going for it.

The focus seems to be on linguistics and Panhuis pays particular attention to "The Sentence and Its Parts" and word order/Textlinguistics (as it's called in the book). Word order, I think, is a particularly tough nut to crack, and Panhuis offers some great food for thought in the latter half of this grammar. It's rife with technical terms, but it is a refreshing look at the topic.

For what it's worth, Panhuis received his PhD at the University of Michigan, a school famed for its unique approach to learning Latin (see Latin for Reading, an introductory textbook developed at and published by the school). I can see that some of his training there found its way into his Latin Grammar.

In any case, it seems to be a great addition to any Latinist's bookshelf, and it's not that expensive (less than $20). I'm thinking I'll get myself a copy.

Godmy
Textkit Member

Re: Latin Grammar, by Dirk Panhuis

Post by Godmy »

The book is great, but the English translation (unlike the German translation, Czech and French - hence probably also the original) omits on purpose many sentences from the explanations (and it doesn't even rephrase them, it just outright omits them) and provides you in result with like 70% of the original text. It will omit terms like "syntagma" which weren't omitted in any other translation. And similar. Whole portions are omitted, Latin quotes are sometimes omitted. And so on.

If somebody is ever interested, I can bring up some screenshot and speak about this in depth, but it seems that of all the translations of the Dutch original the English is the single worst one and doesn't really provide you with the "whole book".

I'm sure it's still a great book even in English, but you should feel cheated if that is the only version you have an access to.

The English version I used as my source are the preview pages available (in some countries) on Google Books.
Latin IRC chat: http://textkit.com/greek-latin-forum/vi ... =3&t=62017
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS

derfner
Textkit Neophyte

Post by derfner »

Oh, how MADDENING. Even individual sentences I could probably grin and bear, but entire sections missing? WTF?

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »

You can get the German version, if you act fast!
https://www.amazon.de/Set-Lateinische-G ... +grammatik

Of course, it's 42,5 Euros. It was the only one available for purchase and shipment to the USA.