Textkit Logo

Help with Greek translation please!

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Help with Greek translation please!

Postby Arete » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:08 pm

Hey everyone, I am a second year student of Greek and Roman Studies, and my Greek exam is on Friday. For one of the sections, I must do a translation from Greek to English. Though I have most of it translated, there is one sentence that is driving me crazy. Since I don't know how to use the Greek alphabet on the computer, I'll just transliterate:

Dikaiopolis de eudaimonestatas hegeito tas Athenas kai beltiw (omega) twn Athenwn oudemian polin

I'm having a hard time putting this one together.
I guessed that hegeito means "think". Eudaimonestatas is a comparative.

This is what I roughly have: But Dikaiopolis thought Athenians were happier nowhere other than Athens.

....I think that's severely wrong. Help me figure this out, anyone?? :?: :D
Arete
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Help with Greek translation please!

Postby Qimmik » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:20 am

D. considered Athens the happiest ["city" undertood; superlative, plural because it agrees with Athenas] and no city better [acc. sing., agrees with oudemian polin] than Athens [gen. of comparison].
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help with Greek translation please!

Postby Arete » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Thank you Qimmik! I'm fairly good with Greek grammar, but I often find translation to be pretty confusing. It's frustrating, because reading and understanding Greek is what I'm studying it for/// :lol:
Arete
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek