Help with Greek translation please!

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Arete
Textkit Neophyte

Help with Greek translation please!

Post by Arete »

Hey everyone, I am a second year student of Greek and Roman Studies, and my Greek exam is on Friday. For one of the sections, I must do a translation from Greek to English. Though I have most of it translated, there is one sentence that is driving me crazy. Since I don't know how to use the Greek alphabet on the computer, I'll just transliterate:

Dikaiopolis de eudaimonestatas hegeito tas Athenas kai beltiw (omega) twn Athenwn oudemian polin

I'm having a hard time putting this one together.
I guessed that hegeito means "think". Eudaimonestatas is a comparative.

This is what I roughly have: But Dikaiopolis thought Athenians were happier nowhere other than Athens.

....I think that's severely wrong. Help me figure this out, anyone?? :?: :D

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help with Greek translation please!

Post by Qimmik »

D. considered Athens the happiest ["city" undertood; superlative, plural because it agrees with Athenas] and no city better [acc. sing., agrees with oudemian polin] than Athens [gen. of comparison].

Arete
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Help with Greek translation please!

Post by Arete »

Thank you Qimmik! I'm fairly good with Greek grammar, but I often find translation to be pretty confusing. It's frustrating, because reading and understanding Greek is what I'm studying it for/// :lol: