videris.....adveneris....

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

videris.....adveneris....

Post by pmda »

Hoc in LLPSI Orberg scripsit (Aeneas Kathaginem devenit Venusque, mater sua, ei dicit...)

'...Quicumque es, dis caelestibus carus esse videris, qui ad urbem Karthaginem adveneris.'

Videris: 1) Pres. 2nd Pers. Sing. Passive; 2) Fut. Perf. 2nd Pers. Sing. Active; 3) Perf. Subj. 2nd Pers. Sing. Active.

Adveneris: Perf. Sub. aut Fut. Perf. Orberg dicit ut 'conj.' sit.

I'm guessing Fut. Perf. for Videris and, following Orberg's direction, 'adveneris' has got to be perf. subjunctive.

So: 'Whoever you are, by the Gods you shall have seen that you were safe by (because you entered) coming to Carthage....'

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: videris.....adveneris....

Post by adrianus »

carus dis esse videris = you seem to be dear to [/beloved by] the gods
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

OK pres. passiv. then..?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

That's it // Ita
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.