Textkit Logo

In insula sicilia

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

In insula sicilia

Postby davoosh » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Hello all,

I have a question that has been bugging me for a while and have not yet found the answer, perhaps someone here could help me.

In English we say "The Island of Sicily" however a textbook uses 'in insula sicilia' - presumably with sicilia also in the ablative (no accent marks).

Would it be incorrect to say "in insula siciliae" following the English style? I realise 'Sicily' here in English doesn't really have a genitive meaning and is more attributive.

Similarly, how would one translate 'the city of Rome', etc.

Many thanks.
davoosh
Textkit Neophyte

Re: In insula sicilia

Postby adrianus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:13 pm

You can say both urbs Roma (more usual) and urbs Romae (less usual but possible). See A&G §343d. http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=AG+343&fromdoc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0001
Secundum A&G (§343d) sic dici potest: et urbs Roma (cotidié) et urbs Romae (rarè per genetivum appositionis)
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin