new Cunliffe Edition..

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Scribo
Global Moderator

new Cunliffe Edition..

Post by Scribo »

So, has anybody used this? how is it?
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: new Cunliffe Edition..

Post by Qimmik »

As best I could tell from the description on Amazon, the only thing that's new about the new edition is that it includes a lexicon of proper names compiled by Cunliffe but originally published separately. I didn't think that was worth springing for. There's an index nominum at the end of West's Iliad and the OCT Iliad and Odyssey.

The substance of the new edition of Cunliffe doesn't seem to have been revised -- that would be an enormous and expensive undertaking, and while Cunliffe is approaching its hundredth anniversary, it's still eminently serviceable--in fact, it's absolutely essential. It's a ktema es aei.

Of course, those who want the absolutely last word in scholarship will have to have their own four-volume set of the Lexikon des fruehgriechischen Epos, which is now complete at about 500 euros per volume. So far, I've felt that Cunliffe is good enough for me.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Qimmik wrote:As best I could tell from the description on Amazon, the only thing that's new about the new edition is that it includes a lexicon of proper names compiled by Cunliffe but originally published separately. I didn't think that was worth springing for. There's an index nominum at the end of West's Iliad and the OCT Iliad and Odyssey.

The substance of the new edition of Cunliffe doesn't seem to have been revised -- that would be an enormous and expensive undertaking, and while Cunliffe is approaching its hundredth anniversary, it's still eminently serviceable--in fact, it's absolutely essential. It's a ktema es aei.

Of course, those who want the absolutely last word in scholarship will have to have their own four-volume set of the Lexikon des fruehgriechischen Epos, which is now complete at about 500 euros per volume. So far, I've felt that Cunliffe is good enough for me.
That's good to know..,so it doesn't seem worth it over the old edition, I was hoping it would be something more expansive. Yes the Lfge (I can never remember the damn proper abbreviation) is great but its not for every day use, I actually have quite a few of the fascicles...for far less money! I dream of owning the full set but until then I'll just use the libraries.

You know, in general I've been lucky with dictionaries. I got my intermediate L&S years ago for the princely sum of £2 in a charity shop, got the larger set as a prize and find good deals on stuff in general. I do like Cunliffe's, I've never actually owned my copy so I'll probably just see if I can get a cheap one rather than rely on the colleges.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Ahab
Textkit Member

Post by Ahab »

I have a copy of this edition and just want to confirm what Qimmik has already said with one minor addition: it also includes a corrigenda to the original.
The corrigenda is actually quite amazing. Only 5 very minor corrections are noted by James Dee for the lexicon. And 6 corrections for the proper and place names section. One can only wish more classical texts exhibited such accuracy.

While it is great to have a paper copy of this lexicon, I have found myself using the online edition almost exclusively since I discovered it.
Why, he's at worst your poet who sings how Greeks
That never were, in Troy which never was,
Did this or the other impossible great thing!
---Robert Browning

-------------------------------------------------------
Hal Friederichs

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

Ahab wrote:I have found myself using the online edition almost exclusively since I discovered it.
Then how do you manage to read Homer in bed?

Ahab
Textkit Member

Post by Ahab »

Qimmik wrote:
Ahab wrote:I have found myself using the online edition almost exclusively since I discovered it.
Then how do you manage to read Homer in bed?
Quite easily with an iPad. :D

Actually I do most of my reading of Homer on an iPad even when out of bed.
Why, he's at worst your poet who sings how Greeks
That never were, in Troy which never was,
Did this or the other impossible great thing!
---Robert Browning

-------------------------------------------------------
Hal Friederichs