Here's some Virgil I parsed and translated

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Here's some Virgil I parsed and translated

Post by pmda »

Ecce versus ex Vergilii... I believe I've translated this reasonably well but it's the parsing that I'm concerned about. For example 'O passi...' is this really addressing a participle in the vocative case - hard to get my head around that..? I'd be grateful for some guidance.

"O socii [m.v.p.] - neque enim ignari [m.n.p.] sumus ante malorum [n.g.p.]
[O friends - we are not ignorant of evil.]

O passi [pf.2p.pl. -m.v.p.] graviora [n.a.p.], dabit [f.3p.s.] deus his [n.d.p.] quoque finem [m.a.s.].
[You who have borne greater burdens, the Gods will, too, bring an end to these things.]

Vos [v.] et Scyllaeam [f.a.s] rabiem [f.a.s.] penitusque sonantes [m.a.p.]
[You who would approach the savage Scylla whence]

accestis [plp.sub.2p.s.] scopulos [m.a.p.], vos et Cyclopia [n.a.p.] saxa [n.a.p.]
[came the sound from the rocks, you who knew]

experti [pf. 2p.p. -m.n.p]. Revocate [imp. 2p. pl.] animos [m.a.pl.] maestumque [m.a.s.] timorem [m.a.s.]
[the Cyclopian stones. Remember your spirits and banish]

mittite [imp. 2p. pl.]! Forsan et haec [n.a.p.] olim meminisse [pf.inf.] iuvabit [f.3.s.]!
[the terrible fear! Perhaps it will please you to remember these things.]

Per varios [m.a.p.] casus [m.a.p.], per tot discrimina [n.a.p.] rerum [f.g.pl.]
[We have gone through all the adventures, through all the]

tendimus [pres. 1p. pl.] in Latium, sedes [f.a.pl.] ubi fata [n.n.pl.] quietas [f.a.pl.]
[terrible times to Latium, a peaceful home that the fates have]

ostendunt [p.3p.pl]: illic fas regna [n.n.pl.] resurgere Troiae [f.g.s.].
[offered: in this place it is the will of the Gods that the reign of Troy should return.]

Durate [imp. pl.], et vosmet [n.pl.] rebus [f.ab.pl.] servate secundis!"
[Endure, and you will ensure the return of these things].

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Here's some Virgil I parsed and translated

Post by adrianus »

"O comrades, certainly we have indeed known bad times before."
"O sufferers/you who have suffered more painful things, god will bring an end also to these."
accêstis = accessistis (verbum personae secundae pluraliter perfecto tempore activâ voce indicativo modo)
"You, comrades, have gone right up against also the rage of Scylla [the Scyllaean rage] and [her] deeply echoing cliffs, you who have also experienced the rocks of the Cyclops."
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Gratias tibi ago, Adriane.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

Some suggestions:

O comrades--for we are not ignorant of ills previously--o you who have suffered worse things, the god will give an end to these things, too. You who have approached raging Scylla [the madness of Scylla] and the cliffs that ring within, you who have also experienced the rocks of [thrown by] the Cyclops, recall [summon back] your spirits and dismiss sad fear. Perhaps some day [olim] it will be a pleasure [iuuabit] to remember even [et] these things. Through various vicissitudes, through so many crises [discrimina rerum, a very Vergilian expression], we are heading for Latium, where [ubi is a relative adverb with Latium as the antecedent; Latin word order doesn't require it to begin the clause; sedes is not appositive to Latium but rather the object of ostendunt] the fates show us a peaceful home [sedes quietas]. There it is permitted [fas [est]] for the kingdom [regna--plural for singular, common in Latin verse] of Troy to rise again [resurgere]. Endure, and preserve yourselves [vosmet is accusative] for favorable circumstances [rebus secundis].

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Gratias tibi ago...