Ancient Greek history forums?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
daivid
Administrator

Ancient Greek history forums?

Post by daivid »

Can anyone recommend any forums like Textkit but dealing with Ancient Greek history and culture rather than the language?
λονδον

pster
Textkit Zealot

Re: Ancient Greek history forums?

Post by pster »

Much broader, but some good stuff:

http://www.histoire-pour-tous.fr/

Dig down and you get to:

http://www.histoire-pour-tous.fr/forum/ ... e-f19.html

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

pster wrote:Much broader, but some good stuff:

http://www.histoire-pour-tous.fr/

Dig down and you get to:

http://www.histoire-pour-tous.fr/forum/ ... e-f19.html
I understand French well enough to read the tittles of the threads and to see that
were I really able to understand French this would be an ideal forum - but not well
enough to read the content of the posts.

Nonetheless, thanks for the pointer.
λονδον

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

If after a month there is only one suggestion and even that one is not an English language forum it
suggests that there are not many good forums out there.

Might an Ancient Greek history and culture forum be added here?
Last edited by daivid on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
λονδον

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Well there are some out there, full of idiots, nothing like the quality of the French forum. I don't know if we need another sub-forum here, but I certainly don't see why people here shouldn't discuss history and culture. I'd actually bet an OCT that conversation about such things with people from here would be much, much, more interesting, entertaining and profitable with the usual kinds who hang about such fora.

Go for it.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

Here is one:

http://historum.com/

But as Scribo notes, it IS the Internet where peers and peer review do not mean the same thing. :)

There are other more specific, I'm sure.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

We can create a sub-forum here, that is is someone is willing to moderate ;-)
Textkit Founder

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

I'm more than happy to moderate in general.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Osterdeich »

Scribo wrote:I'm more than happy to moderate in general.
That's super, Scribo. I'd contribute to the forum.

Pster—good call on the French "history for all" forum, too. I am checking it out now—good site!

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Sounds good. Does it mean anything that we are making this decision on the Ides of March? :-)

I'll PM you and together we'll setup the board and get you mod privs.

thanks,
Jeff
Textkit Founder

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

The more I think about this proposed sub-forum here the more I like it. I tire of the sometimes almost mindless jingoistic nationalism sometimes displayed on other history forum venues. It will be interesting reading the opinions of those closer connected to sources such as I assume we have here.

Bart
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bart »

Maybe not quite what the OP is looking for, but nevertheless: on Librarything (a book cataloguing site) there is an interesting and active Ancient History group.

http://www.librarything.nl/groups/ancienthistory

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Osterdeich »

Jeff Tirey wrote:We can create a sub-forum here, that is is someone is willing to moderate ;-)
When does this sub-forum open? I have never been to a sub-forum opening. Does the mayor come and cut a red ribbon and are prizes and balloons given away at the opening?

I am going to be first in line because I want to be in the pictures with the celebrities who show up. Instead of Kim Kardashian and Kanye it's rumored whiteoctave and Episcopus will be there.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

There just happens to be a free coursera course starting this week called The Ancient Greeks:

http://www.coursera.org/course/ancientgreeks

I've never done a coursera course before, but I've heard a lot about them. The nice thing is that they are entirely free and that they are taught by university professors. The teaching is done through video lectures.

About the Course
This course is a survey of ancient Greek history, covering the roughly 13 centuries that extended from the Minoan / Mycenaean Bronze Age (ca. 1800-1200 BCE) down to the death of Socrates in 399 BCE. Along with studying the most important events and personalities, we will consider broader issues such as political and cultural values and methods of historical interpretation.
Some of the topics we will cover include: relations between the Greeks and their neighbors to the East; Homer and the heroic ideal; the development of the type of community called the "polis"; the diffusion of Greek civilization from Southern Italy to the shores of the Black Sea; gods and mortals in myth, religion and ritual; the roles of women; Athenian drama; the treatment of slaves and foreigners; and the birth and evolution of democracy. We will strive to get as full an understanding as we can of this extraordinary, and extraordinarily influential, society.

Almost all the reading assignments are from ancient sources in translation. No previous knowledge of ancient history is assumed.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Osterdeich »

edonnelly wrote:There just happens to be a free coursera course starting this week called The Ancient Greeks
Good call. I have enjoyed the "open university" style classes. Yale has a good selection. The internet is grand, innit?

Are you coming to the sub-forum opening, edonnelly? I hear cweb255 and whiteoctave are going to have an MMA style cage fight there. It'll be fun.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Osterdeich wrote:When does this sub-forum open? I have never been to a sub-forum opening. Does the mayor come and cut a red ribbon and are prizes and balloons given away at the opening?

I am going to be first in line because I want to be in the pictures with the celebrities who show up. Instead of Kim Kardashian and Kanye it's rumored whiteoctave and Episcopus will be there.
:-) It's opening now.
Textkit Founder

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Osterdeich »

Yay! But it says I don't have the required permissions. Does the moderator have to "break it in" ? :(

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Osterdeich wrote:Are you coming to the sub-forum opening, edonnelly? I hear cweb255 and whiteoctave are going to have an MMA style cage fight there. It'll be fun.
I couldn't possibly miss that!
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

Jeff Tirey wrote:
Osterdeich wrote:When does this sub-forum open? I have never been to a sub-forum opening. Does the mayor come and cut a red ribbon and are prizes and balloons given away at the opening?

:-) It's opening now.

"Permissions" for the new board?

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Osterdeich »

demetri wrote:"Permissions" for the new board?
Outside the forum we can hear the games beginning, but the seats are all empty. Jeff and the mayor of Strongsville—the honorable Jimmy James—are cutting the ribbon and dedicating the new forum to us—we devoted fans of ancient history. But we stand outside shivering with our tickets in hand, patient and eager for the six days of celebrations that will commence upon the opening. For days I have read and reread Dickey's Ancient Greek Scholarhip, even as the rains pelt us yet again.

Annis is reciting Hesiod in his loudest voice. Scribo is holding his golden moderator key above his crowd, imploring them to raise their voices so that the gatekeeper hears us and raises the drawbridge over the moat. Alas, is that Chad on a pegasus riding in from Australia in the distance?

If only we had the proper "permissions"…

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

Osterdeich wrote: Outside the forum we can hear the games beginning, but the seats are all empty. Jeff and the mayor of Strongsville—the honorable Jimmy James—are cutting the ribbon and dedicating the new forum to us—we devoted fans of ancient history. But we stand outside shivering with our tickets in hand, patient and eager for the six days of celebrations that will commence upon the opening.
<snip>
If only we had the proper "permissions"…
Not giving us the proper permissions is a cunning ploy to build the excitement. :-)
λονδον

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Osterdeich »

daivid wrote:Not giving us the proper permissions is a cunning ploy to build the excitement. :-)
Good point, daivid! :lol:

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

LOL - yeah, I'm always messing something up. I *should* have the correct forum permissions now. If you can't access it - somebody please PM me.
Textkit Founder

CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Post by CanadianGirl »

This is something i'm interested in too. I'll post some stuff when i can. Regards.