Help Translating

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
GreatKraw
Textkit Neophyte

Help Translating

Post by GreatKraw »

τὰ παιδία δώροις ἐλύοντο. τὰ παιδία δώροις ἐλύετο.

my answer I am sure is wrong...

The children were untying themselves their gifts. He was untying himself gifts for the children.

...Help Please. :mrgreen:

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help Translating

Post by NateD26 »

GreatKraw wrote:τὰ παιδία δώροις ἐλύοντο. τὰ παιδία δώροις ἐλύετο.

my answer I am sure is wrong...

The children were untying themselves their gifts. He was untying himself gifts for the children.

...Help Please. :mrgreen:
I would take the sentences as having an implied subject (they in ἐλύοντο; he/she in ἐλύετο)
with direct object τὰ παιδία and dative of means δώροις. The usage of middle-passive ending
is due to some relational connection to the subject, perhaps his/her in ἐλύοντο and their in ἐλύετο.
Nate.

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda »

But isn't the subject τα παιδια? The verb is in the passive. I think this rather illustrates the point that a neuter plural subject often takes a singular verb. So both sentences mean the same, "the children were bought free with gifts".

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda »

Or rather, I think both interpretations, medium and passive, are possible depending on the context.

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

Paul Derouda wrote:But isn't the subject τα παιδια? The verb is in the passive. I think this rather illustrates the point that a neuter plural subject often takes a singular verb. So both sentences mean the same, "the children were bought free with gifts".
That's certainly a possibility. In which case, only the second sentence with sg. verb is
grammatically correct.
Last edited by NateD26 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate.

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

GreatKraw wrote:τὰ παιδία δώροις ἐλύοντο. τὰ παιδία δώροις ἐλύετο.
Could it be something on the lines of
"The slaves ransomed themselves by means of gifts. He ransomed the slaves by means of gifts."?

What is the context?
λονδον

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda »

NateD26 wrote:
Paul Derouda wrote:But isn't the subject τα παιδια? The verb is in the passive. I think this rather illustrates the point that a neuter plural subject often takes a singular verb. So both sentences mean the same, "the children were bought free with gifts".
That's certainly a possibility. In which case, only the second sentence with sg. verb is
grammatically correct.
Not necessarily. See Smyth §959.
"A plural verb may be used when stress is laid on the fact that the neuter plural subject is composed of persons or of several parts"

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

Paul Derouda wrote:
NateD26 wrote:
grammatically correct.
Not necessarily. See Smyth §959.
"A plural verb may be used when stress is laid on the fact that the neuter plural subject is composed of persons or of several parts"
I stand corrected, although I don't quite understand what is the emphasis with a plural verb.
Nate.