Sallust, "Letter of Mithridates"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Sallust, "Letter of Mithridates"

Post by hlawson38 »

Very last paragraph. Sallust represents Mithridates writing another king to persuade him to join in an alliance against the Romans.

Teque illa fama sequetur, auxilio profectum magnis regibus latrones gentium oppressissse.

And that report will accompany you, by aid to great kings you crushed the plunderers of the nations.

I can't make out "profectum".
Hugh Lawson

whsiv
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Sallust, "Letter of Mithridates"

Post by whsiv »

Salve,

It's looking to me like the past participle of proficisci. If this is the case, I would tend toward understanding auxilio in its military sense of "auxiliary troops" (admittedly this use is more frequent in the plural, but it does show up in the singular - and I don't think Sallust would hesitate at all to use a slightly more rare word).

"...having set out with auxiliary forces..."

Caesar has a similar construction (though he uses the plural): Caesar confisus famā rerum gestarum, infirmis auxiliis proficisci non dubitaverat, Caes. B. C. 3, 106

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Ut opinor,
"And this reputation will attend you: by the aid given to great kings [auxilio quod profectum est], to have put down those who prey on other nations."
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

Thanks to whsiv and adrianus for the replies. Both were helpful, in that I just couldn't find any function for "profectum" in the quotation. I had considered it as a perfect participle of "profiscor", but could cast no satisfactory meaning for it, but I didn't think of "perfectum" in adrianus's sense at all.

Adrianus, is it correct that you read "perfectum" as the perfect participle of "proficio"?
Hugh Lawson

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

profectum agrees with te. From proficiscor. "And the fame will follow you that you, having set out as a help to great kings, crushed the plunderers of the nations."

Less literally:

"And you will become famous for having set out to help great kings and thereby having crushed the plunderers of the nations."

Here's a similar use of profectus with subsidio in the dative and the persons helped in the dative from Cornelius Nepos:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Nep. Iph. 2.5&lang=original

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

Auxilio is dative of purpose (Allen & Greenough sec. 382). They cite Caesar, Bellum Gallicum, i. 52: tertiam aciem nostris subsidio misit., 'he sent the third line as a relief to our men.'

And you will become famous for having gone to the aid of great kings [more literally, set out as an aid to great kings] and thereby crushed the plunderers of nations.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

hlawson38 wrote:Adrianus, is it correct that you read "perfectum" as the perfect participle of "proficio"?
Est // yes
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.