LOEB library online

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

LOEB library online

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

just stumbled into to Loeb Classical Lib website more or less by accident. Kind of surprised it lets you read, cut and paste with side by side Greek English presentation all without even registering. I would expect to be charged a fee for access to this. What's the story?

http://rds.emmis.com/browse?t1=author.aeschylus
C. Stirling Bartholomew

arthad
Textkit Neophyte

Re: LOEB library online

Post by arthad »

I have no idea, but it looks like the site isn't quite ready for prime time yet. The FAQ and "How to Use" sections have no content yet, the "Contact Us" page has no contact information, and the "subscribe now" link on the home page doesn't point to anything. Right now it does look like all content is freely available, but I doubt it will stay that way. In the meantime, it's a nice resource to have!

C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

arthad wrote: Right now it does look like all content is freely available, but I doubt it will stay that way. In the meantime, it's a nice resource to have!
I agree, it isn't fully up and running.
It also has a search engine which works reasonably well. A lot less fuss and bother than using TLG.

I got in through a back door by using a goggle search on some text. When I tried to look at what I thought was a foot note it told me to register. I registered for free and then discovered the footnotes were empty but would allow you to add annotations to the text.

I tried to log in through the front page but it didn't accept my name and password.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Ilion
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ilion »

Yeah, great resource, thanks!
Though there is problem with the Unicode in some fragments.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Pretty interesting find. I hope it's legit.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library