help

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
atom_bomb
Textkit Neophyte

help

Post by atom_bomb »

Hello all! I'm new to Textkit (although already it looks much better than most of the other Latin and Greek sites I've seen so far). As well, I'm new to the Classics.<br /><br />I want to learn Latin but there really are not that many good websites around which could serve as good resources. I can't take Latin in school, because Latin is not among the subjects offered in Grade Five. I don't get allowance so I can't buy Latin tutorial books but maybe I can get Wheelock's out of my public library (I got Veni, Vidi, Vici: conquer your enemies, impress your friends with everyday Latin and learned the smallest amount of Latin imaginable from that, but I loved the phrases). From eveything I've read so far Wheelock's is the best and coolest. I can't exactly download the works from this site because I'm not allowed to download.<br /><br />So, what would you guys suggest I do? ???

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:help

Post by Carola »

There is a text file with the Dale Grote guide to Wheelock on http://www.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Wheelock-Latin/ which might help you. When you say you can't download what do you mean? That is what you are doing when you look at anything on the internet. Do you mean you have a download limit? Could you find a friend who has a broadband connection who could download the files & burn them onto a CD for you? I have a "reference CD" with various bits and pieces on it which I take to work so I can do my Uni assignments at lunch time!<br />Try doing some searches using Google - it takes a bit of refining (and you'll learn to use Boolean expressions!) . When you have collected some reference sites, put all the website addresses on a floppy disk - you can then view the material on-line. <br />Let's face it - for about 2000 years people learnt to speak & write Latin without even an old 486 to play with, so just use that enquiring mind (which you obviously have) and good luck!

duglasius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by duglasius »

** !! -- That is very cool that you want to learn Latin and are only in fifth grade. What inspired you? If you are comfortable with such a thing, I would be perfectly happy to tutor you via email...and if you think that would work. Let me know if you are interested. Otherwise, best of luck to you!

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Post by Elucubrator »

Hi Atom-Bomb,<br /><br />yeah, I agree with Duglasius, that is really cool, and please, answer his question so that we can all read about what inspired you. Will your parents not help you to buy a book for such a noble endeavour? If not, then ask your parents for permission to download some of the books here, after you show them what they are. If you still cannot prevail on them, the public library is bound to have a lot of cool books on learning Latin. Just ask the librarian to help you. I'm sure they would be delighted by such a request.<br /><br />This is also one of the coolest sites I've seen, and I'm glad you're here. we'll help you how we can,<br /><br />vale,<br /><br />Seba